Firefly movie
P. Burrows
2004-06-14 01:33:57 UTC
Just a note to those who don't keep up, Universal has set a release date
for Joss Whedons "Serenity" (based on that show you know), and the date
is:

April 22nd 2005

So make sure to cancel weddingplans, funerals etc :)
Captain Infinity
2004-06-14 01:59:03 UTC
Eenie Meenie Chili Beanie
Post by P. Burrows
Just a note to those who don't keep up, Universal has set a release date
for Joss Whedons "Serenity" (based on that show you know), and the date
April 22nd 2005
Available on DVD in July, 2005.

**
Captain Infinity
...I hear it will come packaged with a real cow pattie as a bonus extra
P. Burrows
I thought you liked Firefly! (Or are you just still bitter)
Jaime M. de Castellvi
2004-06-14 23:27:50 UTC
Post by P. Burrows
Post by Captain Infinity
Eenie Meenie Chili Beanie
Post by P. Burrows
Just a note to those who don't keep up, Universal has set a release date
for Joss Whedons "Serenity" (based on that show you know), and the date
April 22nd 2005
Available on DVD in July, 2005.
I thought you liked Firefly! (Or are you just still bitter)
He ***loves*** _Firefly_. I understand that he owns the whole set in
DVD, since he felt the tapes didn't do it justice.

Cheers,

Jaime
Captain Infinity
2004-06-15 01:10:56 UTC
Eenie Meenie Chili Beanie
Post by Jaime M. de Castellvi
Post by P. Burrows
I thought you liked Firefly! (Or are you just still bitter)
He ***loves*** _Firefly_. I understand that he owns the whole set in
DVD, since he felt the tapes didn't do it justice.
Cheers,
Jaime
Yes folks, it's true. I own the Firefly DVD set. Jaime gave it to me
as a birthday gift, because he loves to torment me.

I have not yet decided if I'm going to use them as drink coasters or try
to make a wind chime out of them. I'll let you know.

**
Captain Infinity
Jaime M. de Castellvi
2004-06-25 23:24:29 UTC
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:10:56 -0400, Captain Infinity
Post by Captain Infinity
Eenie Meenie Chili Beanie
Post by Jaime M. de Castellvi
Post by P. Burrows
I thought you liked Firefly! (Or are you just still bitter)
He ***loves*** _Firefly_. I understand that he owns the whole set in
DVD, since he felt the tapes didn't do it justice.
Cheers,
Jaime
Yes folks, it's true. I own the Firefly DVD set. Jaime gave it to me
as a birthday gift, because he loves to torment me.
I have not yet decided if I'm going to use them as drink coasters or try
to make a wind chime out of them. I'll let you know.
Or you could go the body jewelry route. You could pierce your ears
and the inside of your nose and then flaunt a DVD hanging from each
ear and a third one (to be changed daily) dangling from your nose
ring.

Not only would it improve your looks immeasurably, but you would also
make me both happy and proud, by displaying in public a gift that your
old pop had lovingly bestowed upon you.

<*sigh*> I suppose, if you really wanted to, that you could pierce
your dick and thereby avail yourself of a hanging spot for a fourth
DVD. But if you do, I don't want to hear or know a thing about it. I
know I can't dissuade you from pursuing your own way (however
tasteless), but I'd rather keep my peace of mind in my old age, if
it's all the same to you. This is a different generation, all right.

Cheers,

Jaime
Captain Infinity
2004-06-15 01:08:47 UTC
Eenie Meenie Chili Beanie
Post by P. Burrows
I thought you liked Firefly!
Whatever gave you that idea?
Post by P. Burrows
(Or are you just still bitter)
Bitter about what?

**
Captain Infinity
Ian J. Ball
2004-06-15 03:21:16 UTC
Post by Captain Infinity
Eenie Meenie Chili Beanie
Post by P. Burrows
I thought you liked Firefly!
Whatever gave you that idea?
Post by P. Burrows
(Or are you just still bitter)
Bitter about what?
Bitter?! BITTER?!!! Why, you're still bitter that Jewel Staite isn't
appearing weekly on your TV screen! That's what!!

Ian (Oh... wait... actually, that's me...)
--
Ian J. Ball | "I think things are even worse now after
TV lover, and | the awful... fish sex."
***@macDOTcom | http://homepage.mac.com/ijball/TV.html
Mac Breck
2004-06-15 09:45:05 UTC
Post by Captain Infinity
Eenie Meenie Chili Beanie
Post by P. Burrows
I thought you liked Firefly!
Whatever gave you that idea?
Hey, it beats the hell out of most of the stuff that's
currently on The Skiffy Ch., though admittedly that's not
saying much.
--
Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC
-------------------------------
http://www.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/1521 (Brimstone)
Jaime M. de Castellvi
2004-06-14 09:07:40 UTC
Post by P. Burrows
Just a note to those who don't keep up, Universal has set a release date
for Joss Whedons "Serenity" (based on that show you know), and the date
April 22nd 2005
Damm, the _Firefly_ movie will be a Taurus? I had hoped it would be a
Pisces.

Cheers,

Jaime
P. Burrows
2004-06-14 22:13:34 UTC
In article <***@News.Individual.Net>, ***@comcast.net
says...
Post by Jaime M. de Castellvi
Post by P. Burrows
Just a note to those who don't keep up, Universal has set a release date
for Joss Whedons "Serenity" (based on that show you know), and the date
April 22nd 2005
Damm, the _Firefly_ movie will be a Taurus? I had hoped it would be a
Pisces.
So you think that will affect its success, eh? What about StarWars, that
opens a month later...
SmkMirrors
2004-06-15 00:53:48 UTC
Post by P. Burrows
April 22nd 2005
Looks like this will be to Episode III as Wing Commander was to Episode I.
pv+ (Paul Vader)
2004-06-15 13:05:10 UTC
Post by SmkMirrors
Post by P. Burrows
April 22nd 2005
Looks like this will be to Episode III as Wing Commander was to Episode I.
Parse that please. *
like corkscrews.
Iain Odlin
2004-06-15 20:37:08 UTC
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Post by SmkMirrors
Post by P. Burrows
April 22nd 2005
Looks like this will be to Episode III as Wing Commander was to Episode I.
Parse that please. *
Well, Wing Commander was an excellent PC game; highly innovative for its
time. Episode One was the movie that revealed to the world that George
Lucas has lost his f-ing marbles, peed on a lot of our childhood memories
and made the name "Star Wars" into a cringe-inducing joke.

So, obviously, he means that Firefly will play great, and Episode III will
do more tap dancing on Star Wars' grave.

Or something like that. ;)

-Iain
pv+ (Paul Vader)
2004-06-15 20:54:31 UTC
Post by Iain Odlin
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Post by SmkMirrors
Looks like this will be to Episode III as Wing Commander was to Episode I.
Parse that please. *
Well, Wing Commander was an excellent PC game; highly innovative for its
time.
Except from context you'd think he was taking about the MOVIE Wing
Commander, which sucked beyond mortal comprehension. *
like corkscrews.
David Johnston
2004-06-16 00:23:03 UTC
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Post by Iain Odlin
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Post by SmkMirrors
Looks like this will be to Episode III as Wing Commander was to Episode I.
Parse that please. *
Well, Wing Commander was an excellent PC game; highly innovative for its
time.
Except from context you'd think he was taking about the MOVIE Wing
Commander, which sucked beyond mortal comprehension. *
Wing Commander's reputation for sucking is out of all proportion to
the degree it actually sucked. It was merely a second tier sf film.
No more than that.
Ian J. Ball
2004-06-16 01:11:04 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Post by Iain Odlin
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Post by SmkMirrors
Looks like this will be to Episode III as Wing Commander was to Episode I.
Parse that please. *
Well, Wing Commander was an excellent PC game; highly innovative for its
time.
Except from context you'd think he was taking about the MOVIE Wing
Commander, which sucked beyond mortal comprehension. *
Wing Commander's reputation for sucking is out of all proportion to
the degree it actually sucked. It was merely a second tier sf film.
No more than that.
I've seen it - it was 3rd tier, maybe. It wasn't quite jaw-droppingly
awful. But it was getting close...
Phil Fraering
2004-06-16 01:53:22 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Wing Commander's reputation for sucking is out of all proportion to
the degree it actually sucked. It was merely a second tier sf film.
No more than that.
And I liked it a lot more than I liked Episode 1.

I haven't seen Episode 2 yet.
pgf
Chastity Blackwell
2004-06-16 03:57:51 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Wing Commander's reputation for sucking is out of all proportion to
the degree it actually sucked. It was merely a second tier sf film.
No more than that.
The problem with Wing Commander is that the games it was based on
had better writing, better cast,better acting, better special effects,
and....probably better sales. I think people had much higher
expectations.
--
Chas Blackwell <Black Isis> CITES Systems Management Group
<***@uiuc.edu>
I will remember you and wonder who we were." | "Further"
John Schilling
2004-06-16 20:05:12 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Except from context you'd think he was taking about the MOVIE Wing
Commander, which sucked beyond mortal comprehension. *
Wing Commander's reputation for sucking is out of all proportion to
the degree it actually sucked. It was merely a second tier sf film.
No more than that.
I think there's a sign error in your math. While it is true that the
movie, "Wing Commander", has a reputation for sucking that is in no
way proportional to the degree it actually sucked, this is because the
magnitude of that production's abject suckitude exceeds the capacity
of the human mind to comprehend or convey. Second tier? Try ninth
circle.

We are talking about a degree of suckage so intense as to warp time
and space itself, as evidenced by bits of dialogue and SFX pulled in
from seventeen years in co-star Jurgen Prochnow's past. At least, I
*assume* this is the explanation for the hushed line, "Quiet; destroyers!",
and the crew's fearful silence as audible sonar pings echo through the
hull, threatening to betray the position of their *spaceship* to its
hunters.

And, for the love of God Almighty, FREDDIE PRINZE, JR, as the lead.
--
*John Schilling * "Anything worth doing, *
*Member:AIAA,NRA,ACLU,SAS,LP * is worth doing for money" *
*661-718-0955 or 661-275-6795 * -58th Rule of Acquisition *
pv+ (Paul Vader)
2004-06-16 22:17:49 UTC
Post by John Schilling
way proportional to the degree it actually sucked, this is because the
magnitude of that production's abject suckitude exceeds the capacity
of the human mind to comprehend or convey. Second tier? Try ninth
circle.
Suckage wraparound. Exactly.
Post by John Schilling
And, for the love of God Almighty, FREDDIE PRINZE, JR, as the lead.
What the man said! *
like corkscrews.
Corwin2
2004-06-17 11:30:33 UTC
Post by John Schilling
Post by David Johnston
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Except from context you'd think he was taking about the MOVIE Wing
Commander, which sucked beyond mortal comprehension. *
Wing Commander's reputation for sucking is out of all proportion to
the degree it actually sucked. It was merely a second tier sf film.
No more than that.
I remember several discontinuities. The power level of the ship
vis a vis the aliens fluctuated wildly. It was disconcerting.

Also the enemy suddenly displayed this fantastic weapon,
a bomb which a fighter had to chase down. Why didn't they
use it repeatedly? Internal consistency is important.
Post by John Schilling
I think there's a sign error in your math. While it is true that the
movie, "Wing Commander", has a reputation for sucking that is in no
way proportional to the degree it actually sucked, this is because the
magnitude of that production's abject suckitude exceeds the capacity
of the human mind to comprehend or convey. Second tier? Try ninth
circle.
We are talking about a degree of suckage so intense as to warp time
and space itself, as evidenced by bits of dialogue and SFX pulled in
from seventeen years in co-star Jurgen Prochnow's past. At least, I
*assume* this is the explanation for the hushed line, "Quiet; destroyers!",
and the crew's fearful silence as audible sonar pings echo through the
hull, threatening to betray the position of their *spaceship* to its
hunters.
lol. I let that one pass me by.
Post by John Schilling
And, for the love of God Almighty, FREDDIE PRINZE, JR, as the lead.
He was ok in a few teen romantic comedies. But they needed
to send him to a real bootcamp or something. He lacked a certain
toughness. And the other guy lacked discipline. They weren't
believable as members of a military unit.
ANIM8Rfsk
2004-06-17 15:22:27 UTC
<< From: ***@aol.comamber (Corwin2) >>

<< >And, for the love of God Almighty, FREDDIE PRINZE, JR, as the lead.

He was ok in a few teen romantic comedies. >>

I dunno. I saw him in that one horrible movie with Julia Stiles, where, to
prove their love is eternal, he DRINKS HER SHAMPOO, because if their love is
true, her brand of shampoo won't poison him, and I was just freaking rooting
for him to die, slowly, in agony, and take himself out of the gene pool. That
was one of those movies where you just never watch anything the leads are in
again.
Lizard
2004-06-19 06:04:15 UTC
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 00:23:03 GMT, ***@telusplanet.net (David
Johnston) wrotC:DRIVE_E
Post by David Johnston
Wing Commander's reputation for sucking is out of all proportion to
the degree it actually sucked. It was merely a second tier sf film.
No more than that.
No. There is no way it can be reputed to have sucked more than it
actually did. It had PEOPLE on a SPACESHIP whispering so they WOULDN'T
BE HEARD by people on ANOTHER SPACESHIP.
Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
http://www.mrlizard.com
Beowulf Bolt
2004-06-21 14:48:37 UTC
Post by Lizard
Johnston) wrotC:DRIVE_E
Post by David Johnston
Wing Commander's reputation for sucking is out of all proportion to
the degree it actually sucked. It was merely a second tier sf film.
No more than that.
No. There is no way it can be reputed to have sucked more than it
actually did. It had PEOPLE on a SPACESHIP whispering so they WOULDN'T
BE HEARD by people on ANOTHER SPACESHIP.
Hrm. I wonder if that trick of bouncing a laser off the glass
(windshield) trick would work to eavesdrop in space. Don't see any
reason why not (you'd need one hell of a focused beam, however, to do it
at any range).

Not that this would in any way excuse WCs use of the trope to hide
from *passive* sensors.

My personal 'favorite' absurdity from WC: the need to push the
damaged fighter 'overboard' to clear the 'runway'.

Biff
"All around me darkness gathers, fading is the sun that shone,
we must speak of other matters, you can be me when I'm gone..."
- SANDMAN #67, Neil Gaiman
Lizard
2004-06-24 00:38:19 UTC
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:48:37 GMT, Beowulf Bolt <abd.al-***@shaw.ca>
wrotC:DRIVE_E
Post by Beowulf Bolt
Hrm. I wonder if that trick of bouncing a laser off the glass
(windshield) trick would work to eavesdrop in space. Don't see any
reason why not (you'd need one hell of a focused beam, however, to do it
at any range).
Even if it did...there's no need to whisper, because, like, if they
can bounce a laser off your ship, then, THEY KNOW WHERE YOUR SHIP IS.

At least when Star Trek (classic) wanted to do 'Sub warfare in space'
("Balance of Terror"), they had Spock accidently send a *radio signal*
(or something like that) do get the classic "We're trying to be vewy,
vewy, quiet but someone just made a noise so let's all be tense and
wait for the torpedoes to hit us" moment. If they could figure this
out in 1968-odd, there's really no excuse for not getting it right in
the late 1990s.

Wing Commander, the movie, was teh suxx0r, and even the studio knew
it. It was destined to gather dust unseen until Freddie Prinze, Jr.,
accidently became a star by banging Buffy.
http://www.mrlizard.com
ANIM8Rfsk
2004-06-24 01:28:38 UTC
<< From: Lizard ***@mrlizard.com >>

<< At least when Star Trek (classic) wanted to do 'Sub warfare in space'
("Balance of Terror"), they had Spock accidently send a *radio signal*
(or something like that) do get the classic "We're trying to be vewy,
vewy, quiet but someone just made a noise so let's all be tense and
wait for the torpedoes to hit us" moment. >>

No, actually, he just hit a button that made loud beeping on the bridge, and
the people on both ships were tiptoeing around whispering.
James Gassaway
2004-06-24 02:33:44 UTC
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
<< At least when Star Trek (classic) wanted to do 'Sub warfare in space'
("Balance of Terror"), they had Spock accidently send a *radio signal*
(or something like that) do get the classic "We're trying to be vewy,
vewy, quiet but someone just made a noise so let's all be tense and
wait for the torpedoes to hit us" moment. >>
No, actually, he just hit a button that made loud beeping on the bridge, and
the people on both ships were tiptoeing around whispering.
Actually, what they were trying to do was reduce their EM emissions by
shutting down as much electronic equipment as possible.
Multiversal Mercenaries. You name it, we kill it. Any time, any reality.
Captain Infinity
2004-06-24 03:24:12 UTC
Eenie Meenie Chili Beanie
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
the people on both ships were tiptoeing around whispering.
Actually, what they were trying to do was reduce their EM emissions by
shutting down as much electronic equipment as possible.
"EM emissions". Yeah. Like *that's* a real thing. Tscha.

**
Captain Infinity
...it's 10:00 ...do you know where your pants are?
ANIM8Rfsk

LOL. Yeah, that explains the whispering. :-)
Lizard
2004-06-24 06:09:14 UTC
On 24 Jun 2004 01:28:38 GMT, ***@aol.comNOSPAM (ANIM8Rfsk)
wrotC:DRIVE_E
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
No, actually, he just hit a button that made loud beeping on the bridge, and
the people on both ships were tiptoeing around whispering.
I was under the impression the beeping internally was to let us know
something had been sent externally. I may have been fanwanking
instinctively from a young age. :)
http://www.mrlizard.com
ANIM8Rfsk
2004-06-24 20:01:38 UTC
<< From: Lizard ***@mrlizard.com >>

Post by ANIM8Rfsk
the people on both ships were tiptoeing around whispering.
I was under the impression the beeping internally was to let us know
something had been sent externally. I may have been fanwanking
instinctively from a young age. :) >>

Heh. I happened to have watched BoT just a couple nights ago. Spock hits
something on the science station (if it had been the comm station you'd have a
better case) and it makes VERY LOUD NOISES. On the Romulan ship, they continue
to whisper that they'd got a signal, and whisper orders to move towards the
Enteprise. It seems pretty clear they're just listening for any sort of sound,
sigh.
Mac Breck
2004-06-26 14:20:51 UTC
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
<< >No, actually, he just hit a button that made loud
beeping on the bridge,
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
and
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Enteprise. It seems pretty clear they're just listening
for any sort of sound,
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
sigh.
...not listening for any sort of sound through the hull, but
from their sensors. Sonar guys on subs wear headphones to
allow them to concentrate on the sonar, don't they? I don't
recall that Centurion sensor guy wearing any headphones.
Maybe they had to be quiet to allow him to do his job.
Also, isn't the normal reaction for anybody intensely
concentrating, trying to pick up a small signal, to be
quiet? It's the same for anybody trying go undetected. It
may not always make perfect sense, but it's natural.
ANIM8Rfsk
2004-06-26 17:33:21 UTC
<< From: "Mac Breck" ***@yahoo.com >>

<< ...not listening for any sort of sound through the hull, but
from their sensors. Sonar guys on subs wear headphones to
allow them to concentrate on the sonar, don't they? I don't
recall that Centurion sensor guy wearing any headphones.
Maybe they had to be quiet to allow him to do his job. >>

nice try, but they whisper on BOTH ships. And on the Enterprise, they whisper
in Kirk's cabin. And after the Romulan gets the singal from Spock, they
continue to whisper, to sneak up on the Enterprise.
Mac Breck
2004-06-27 13:35:51 UTC
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
continue to whisper, to sneak up on the Enterprise.
Well, maybe they're just trying to project the proper
"submarine vs. submarine, cat & mouse" mood for the
physics-challenged folks in the audience (which would
probably be *most* of the audience).
ANIM8Rfsk
2004-06-27 15:50:12 UTC
<< From: "Mac Breck" ***@yahoo.com >>

<< Well, maybe they're just trying to project the proper
"submarine vs. submarine, cat & mouse" mood for the
physics-challenged folks in the audience (which would
probably be *most* of the audience). >>

Heh. I think it's pretty clear they just did way to faithful a remake of 'Run
Silent Run Deep' and nobody thought the problem through, or were ignored if
they did.

Iain Odlin
2004-06-16 03:57:49 UTC
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Post by Iain Odlin
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Post by SmkMirrors
Looks like this will be to Episode III as Wing Commander was to Episode I.
Parse that please. *
Well, Wing Commander was an excellent PC game; highly innovative for its
time.
Except from context you'd think he was taking about the MOVIE Wing
Commander, which sucked beyond mortal comprehension. *
Right. Forgot it was UseNet. Sorry.

Add the following to my original post: :)

Sheesh.
-Iain
Klyfix
2004-06-15 06:46:53 UTC
P. Burrows noted....
Post by P. Burrows
Just a note to those who don't keep up, Universal has set a release date
for Joss Whedons "Serenity" (based on that show you know), and the date
April 22nd 2005
That seems pretty quick to me, but then again I'm not up on how quickly
one can do a movie these days.

V. S. Greene : ***@aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...
Eckzylon: http://m1.aol.com/klyfix/eckzylon.html
"Death and Poverty love me so much they brought
friends!"-Vash in "Trigun"
ANIM8Rfsk
2004-06-15 13:51:10 UTC
<< From: ***@aol.comedy (Klyfix) >>

<< >April 22nd 2005
That seems pretty quick to me, but then again I'm not up on how quickly
one can do a movie these days. >>

It's almost a year. It helps that he's not starting from scratch - he knew who
his principal cast was, their wardrobe, the sets, the fx design . . .
James Gassaway
2004-06-15 22:21:18 UTC
Post by Klyfix
P. Burrows noted....
Post by P. Burrows
Just a note to those who don't keep up, Universal has set a release date
for Joss Whedons "Serenity" (based on that show you know), and the date
April 22nd 2005
That seems pretty quick to me, but then again I'm not up on how quickly
one can do a movie these days.
Five years to convince a studio to let you make the movie, five months to
re-write it multiple times and five weeks to shoot it. :P
Multiversal Mercenaries. You name it, we kill it. Any time, any reality.
Ken from Chicago
2004-06-16 10:45:48 UTC
Post by P. Burrows
Just a note to those who don't keep up, Universal has set a release date
for Joss Whedons "Serenity" (based on that show you know), and the date
April 22nd 2005
So make sure to cancel weddingplans, funerals etc :)
Mental note: Avoid dying about a week before April 22nd.

-- Ken from Chicago