Top tv disappointments for 2010
Ken from Chicago
2010-12-19 20:44:48 UTC
[SPOILER ALERT for the series and and season finales of LOST, MAD MEN, and
kinda BATTLESTAR GALACTICA]

1) LOST's pointless, irritating, arbitrary, character-wasting,
rerun-episode-watching-negating, character-wasting series finale. BATTLESTAR
GALACTICA showed how to combine traditional scifi with traditional fantasy
(hello, from the beginning of the reboot mini-series, they've been pointing
to the cylon God--and he has a plan). Lost combined the two in the worst way
possible.

2) LOST's final time-wasting season, with its sidevers-er, excuse me, its
afterverse stories that added little to the show and its living characters.

3) MAD MEN's season finale. Really? After an entire season building a
healthy, mature, relationship with the consultant, Don dumps her and
proposes to his secretary--because Anna left him a ring in her will? The
level of coincidences surpassed the cheesiest of romcoms.

Also of note:

Vic Mackey and Darla / Rita are stuck in very disappointing live action
version of THE INCREDIBLES. They deserve better.

CAPRICA didn't learn to improve and came back with the same pointless
meandering boring stories.

STARGATE UNIVERSE finally started getting really interesting and embracing
its scifi roots--so natch it's only then does it get canned.

HUMAN TARGET dumps Bear McCreary, and if that wasn't stupid enough, they
trade a really great opening theme:

for this piece of dren:

and worst of all, the original music works with the new credits:

-- Ken from Chicago
Fandango Encore
2010-12-19 21:06:42 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
[...]
What are "romcoms", Ken? There is no word spelled that way in the
dictionary.
Ken from Chicago
2010-12-19 21:50:00 UTC
Post by Fandango Encore
Post by Ken from Chicago
[...]
Google it.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=romcoms&qscrl=1
Post by Fandango Encore
dictionary.
Need to look in the right dictionary:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/romcoms

It's short for romantic comedy.

-- Ken from Chicago
Fandango Encore
2010-12-21 02:08:40 UTC
Post by Fandango Encore
Post by Ken from Chicago
3) MAD MEN's season finale. Really? After an entire season building a
healthy, mature, relationship with the consultant, Don dumps her and
proposes to his secretary--because Anna left him a ring in her will? The
level of coincidences surpassed the cheesiest of romcoms.
What are "romcoms", Ken? There is no word spelled that way in the
[rude demand deleted]
Ask politely next time, and I may.
Post by Fandango Encore
dictionary.
Need to look in the right dictionary
I looked in my copy of Oxford Heritage. If that isn't good enough then
you have no right to expect an English speaking lay audience to
understand what you meant without elaboration.
It's short for romantic comedy.
Well, why didn't you just SAY so??! Sheesh!
Ken from Chicago
2010-12-21 02:33:08 UTC
Post by Fandango Encore
Post by Fandango Encore
Post by Ken from Chicago
3) MAD MEN's season finale. Really? After an entire season building a
healthy, mature, relationship with the consultant, Don dumps her and
proposes to his secretary--because Anna left him a ring in her will? The
level of coincidences surpassed the cheesiest of romcoms.
What are "romcoms", Ken? There is no word spelled that way in the
[rude demand deleted]
"Google it" is a rude?
Post by Fandango Encore
Ask politely next time, and I may.
It was a suggestion to find the answer quickly, and to find future answers
quickly. In this case, the very first search result would have answered the
question.
Post by Fandango Encore
Post by Fandango Encore
dictionary.
Need to look in the right dictionary
I looked in my copy of Oxford Heritage. If that isn't good enough then
you have no right to expect an English speaking lay audience to
understand what you meant without elaboration.
A lay audience, true. An audience that specialize in discussing popular
culture, possibly.
Post by Fandango Encore
It's short for romantic comedy.
Well, why didn't you just SAY so??! Sheesh!
To show there were quicker alternatives to finding the answer than waiting
on my reply. For example what if someone had mentioned a "romdram"? The
seventh google search result gives an answer as it relates to popular
fiction (as opposed to computer memory). Then again, in light of knowing
what a "romcom" is it might be easier to suss out what a "romdram" is.

That said, yes, I've posted questions that could be googled but often the
nature of the question could result in a variety of possible answers that
may or may not relate to a discussion in question.

Then sometimes I've posted the question without thinking about it so I could
continue reading the thread without getting sidetracked on a search, or
sometimes it was the easiest out for me.

-- Ken from Chicago (who occassionally passes out fishing poles as well as
fish)
Fandango Encore
2010-12-21 03:15:13 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Fandango Encore
[rude demand deleted]
"Google it" is a rude?
Yes.

"Please google it" would have been politer.
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Fandango Encore
Ask politely next time, and I may.
It was a suggestion to find the answer quickly, and to find future answers
quickly.
It was phrased as a demand.
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Fandango Encore
Post by Fandango Encore
dictionary.
Need to look in the right dictionary
I looked in my copy of Oxford Heritage. If that isn't good enough then
you have no right to expect an English speaking lay audience to
understand what you meant without elaboration.
A lay audience, true.
Which is what the rec.arts.tv audience is.
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Fandango Encore
It's short for romantic comedy.
Well, why didn't you just SAY so??! Sheesh!
To show there were quicker alternatives to finding the answer than waiting
on my reply.
No. IN THE FIRST PLACE. You saved what, nine keystrokes by
abbreviating that phrase to the point of unintelligibility? And ended
up confusing part of your audience, leading to an unknown number (at
least one) spending some time riffling through a dictionary, and
typing in a question and posting it here, etc.; and then expended many
more than nine keystrokes yourself on replying at least twice to the
resulting branch of this thread.

That's what we in the logistics business call a "false economy". :)
Post by Ken from Chicago
That said, yes, I've posted questions that could be googled but often the
nature of the question could result in a variety of possible answers that
may or may not relate to a discussion in question.
Then sometimes I've posted the question without thinking about it so I could
continue reading the thread without getting sidetracked on a search, or
sometimes it was the easiest out for me.
Then you know why it is generally less labor (if not necessarily
quicker to get results) to ask the question.

Asking the question also has the salutary effect of causing the poster
to become aware of the fact, apparently previously unsuspected by
them, that it is not the case that 100% of their audience could easily
understand their post as written, and perhaps their next ones will be
clearer and more understandable as a result, saving everyone some time
down the line.
Ken from Chicago
2010-12-21 09:40:09 UTC
Post by Fandango Encore
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Fandango Encore
Ask politely next time, and I may.
So then by that logic "Ask politely next time, and I may" and any other
you-understood sentence would be rude.
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Fandango Encore
Post by Fandango Encore
dictionary.
Need to look in the right dictionary
I looked in my copy of Oxford Heritage. If that isn't good enough then
you have no right to expect an English speaking lay audience to
understand what you meant without elaboration.
A lay audience, true.
Which is what the rec.arts.tv audience is.
Except many know and use terms specific to tv and movies. "Romcoms" is
actually a commonly-used phrase used in the past half decade.

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=romcoms&qscrl=1#q=romcoms&hl=en&tbo=1&qscrl=1&output=search&source=lnt&tbs=tl:1&sa=X&ei=l3AQTYvUC5jfnQfOvNTVDg&ved=0CBYQpwU&fp=1ffa809a377e16cd

(You can google "romcoms" and click on timeline option of the search tools
to see it show up in spurts in the '70s and '90s, but had a continuous use
in the 2000s and a rise in use since the mid 00s.)
Post by Fandango Encore
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Fandango Encore
It's short for romantic comedy.
Well, why didn't you just SAY so??! Sheesh!
To show there were quicker alternatives to finding the answer than waiting
on my reply.
No. IN THE FIRST PLACE. You saved what, nine keystrokes by
abbreviating that phrase to the point of unintelligibility? And ended
up confusing part of your audience, leading to an unknown number (at
least one) spending some time riffling through a dictionary, and
typing in a question and posting it here, etc.; and then expended many
more than nine keystrokes yourself on replying at least twice to the
resulting branch of this thread.
That's what we in the logistics business call a "false economy". :)
I answered your question after pointing there additional resources to answer
them. How many seconds did it take to read the whole reply versus reading
part of the reply, and responding to segments of it individually?

Or more to the point, how many additional seconds did it take to go from
seeing that the answer could indeed be googled, that there were dictionaries
that had the term "romcom" in them, to me answering the question directly?
Was it an extra 3 seconds? 5? 7?
Post by Fandango Encore
Post by Ken from Chicago
[...]
That, I agree with. I hadn't realized in 2010 there were some people reading
about popular fiction who had never even heard of the word "romcom".

That all said, I'm sorry I phrased my answer in a way that confused and
later offended you. That was not my intention. I genuinely was simply trying
to show there were alternatives than waiting on me (esp since sometimes I'll
not respond to a thread or subthread for days, weeks or months on end).

-- Ken from Chicago
Harold Groot
2010-12-21 22:52:54 UTC
On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 03:40:09 -0600, "Ken from Chicago"
Post by Ken from Chicago
I hadn't realized in 2010 there were some people reading
about popular fiction who had never even heard of the word "romcom".
Actually, I don't recall having come across that shortened version
either (though I couldn't absolutely swear to it). Still, it seemed
clear enough from context that I didn't bother with a Google search.
Fandango Encore
2010-12-24 04:57:13 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Fandango Encore
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Fandango Encore
Ask politely next time, and I may.
So then by that logic "Ask politely next time, and I may" and any other
you-understood sentence would be rude.
What?
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Fandango Encore
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Fandango Encore
I looked in my copy of Oxford Heritage. If that isn't good enough then
you have no right to expect an English speaking lay audience to
understand what you meant without elaboration.
A lay audience, true.
Which is what the rec.arts.tv audience is.
Except
Except nothing. The rec.arts.tv audience is, by and large, a lay
audience.
Post by Ken from Chicago
http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=romcoms&...
(You can google "romcoms" and click on timeline option of the search tools
to see it show up in spurts in the '70s and '90s, but had a continuous use
in the 2000s and a rise in use since the mid 00s.)
A rise in use somewhere where people can easily watch a lot of TV and
regularly read the genre show threads in rec.arts.tv and not come
across it.
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Fandango Encore
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Fandango Encore
Well, why didn't you just SAY so??! Sheesh!
To show there were quicker alternatives to finding the answer than waiting
on my reply.
No. IN THE FIRST PLACE. You saved what, nine keystrokes by
abbreviating that phrase to the point of unintelligibility? And ended
up confusing part of your audience, leading to an unknown number (at
least one) spending some time riffling through a dictionary, and
typing in a question and posting it here, etc.; and then expended many
more than nine keystrokes yourself on replying at least twice to the
resulting branch of this thread.
That's what we in the logistics business call a "false economy". :)
I answered your question after pointing there additional resources to answer
them.
You pointed to them rather rudely, and implied, falsely, that I should
have already known what it meant.
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Fandango Encore
Post by Ken from Chicago
[...]
Well, now you know.
Post by Ken from Chicago
That all said, I'm sorry I phrased my answer in a way that confused and
later offended you. That was not my intention.
Apology accepted, then.
You're not the only one.
Default User
2010-12-21 17:41:49 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
[rude demand deleted]
"Google it" is a rude?
Please don't feed the Seamus.

Brian
--
Day 685 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project.
Current music playing: None.
Fandango Encore
2010-12-24 04:58:09 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
[rude demand deleted]
"Google it" is a rude?
Yes. "Please google it" is politer.
[implied insult deleted]
No. None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me
are at all true.
Day 685 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project.
Fail.
Goro
2010-12-27 23:05:10 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Fandango Encore
Post by Ken from Chicago
3) MAD MEN's season finale. Really? After an entire season building a
healthy, mature, relationship with the consultant, Don dumps her and
proposes to his secretary--because Anna left him a ring in her will? The
level of coincidences surpassed the cheesiest of romcoms.
What are "romcoms", Ken? There is no word spelled that way in the
[rude demand deleted]
"Google it" is a rude?
next time use this:

http://lmgtfy.com/

-goro-
Fandango Encore
2010-12-29 16:01:10 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Fandango Encore
Post by Ken from Chicago
3) MAD MEN's season finale. Really? After an entire season building a
healthy, mature, relationship with the consultant, Don dumps her and
proposes to his secretary--because Anna left him a ring in her will? The
level of coincidences surpassed the cheesiest of romcoms.
What are "romcoms", Ken? There is no word spelled that way in the
[rude demand deleted]
"Google it" is a rude?
Yes. "Please google it" is more polite.
[nasty suggestion deleted]
Bad idea.
KoshN
2010-12-21 06:16:53 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Fandango Encore
dictionary.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/romcoms
It's short for romantic comedy.
Anybody in rec.arts.tv, who doesn't live under a rock, would know
that. ;-)
Remysun
2010-12-21 20:05:09 UTC
We know who it is now anyway.
Fandango Encore
2010-12-24 04:58:52 UTC
Post by Remysun
Post by KoshN
Anybody in rec.arts.tv, who doesn't live under a rock, would know
that.  ;-)
I appear to be the counterexample that suffices to disprove KoshN's
unqualified universal claim.
Post by Remysun
We know who it is now anyway.
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
KoshN
2010-12-26 19:04:25 UTC
Post by Remysun
Post by KoshN
Anybody in rec.arts.tv, who doesn't live under a rock, would know
that.  ;-)
We know who it is now anyway.
Ever think he spends most of his time and energy changing his damned
name?
Fandango Encore
2010-12-27 21:09:09 UTC
Post by KoshN
Post by Remysun
Post by KoshN
Anybody in rec.arts.tv, who doesn't live under a rock, would know
that.  ;-)
I appear to be the counterexample that suffices to disprove your
And that.
Fandango Encore
2010-12-24 04:54:05 UTC
Post by KoshN
Post by Fandango Encore
What are "romcoms", Ken? There is no word spelled that way in the
[rude demand deleted]
Well, I never!
Post by KoshN
It's short for romantic comedy.
Anybody in rec.arts.tv, who doesn't live under a rock, would know
that.  ;-)
I appear to be a counterexample that suffices to disprove your
unqualified universal statement.
Adam H. Kerman
2010-12-19 22:29:15 UTC
Hi seamus
Fandango Encore
2010-12-21 02:08:56 UTC
Er, what?
cloud dreamer

..
Fandango Encore
are at all true.
Remysun
2010-12-21 02:45:03 UTC
Yet. Use context clues.
Fandango Encore
2010-12-21 03:16:08 UTC
Post by Fandango Encore
What are "romcoms", Ken? There is no word spelled that way in the
dictionary.
Yet. [rude demand and implied insult deleted]
None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.

As for whether such a word will exist in the future, it's not relevant
to the issue that it does not exist now.
thinbluemime
2010-12-19 22:20:34 UTC
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 15:44:48 -0500, Ken from Chicago =
[SPOILER ALERT for the series and and season finales of LOST, MAD MEN,=
=
and kinda BATTLESTAR GALACTICA]
1) LOST's pointless, irritating, arbitrary, character-wasting, =
rerun-episode-watching-negating, character-wasting series finale. =
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA showed how to combine traditional scifi with =
traditional fantasy (hello, from the beginning of the reboot =
mini-series, they've been pointing to the cylon God--and he has a plan=
). =
Lost combined the two in the worst way possible.
After ... ABC=E2=80=99s castaways from Lost finally off the air, NBC fel=
t they =

were poised to become the next leader in serial dramas with their newest=
=

prime time offering, The Event.

Since its premiere, The Event has steadily dropped in viewership week to=
=

week. So why is a show that put so much money into advertising faltering=
? =

Short answer: The Event isn=E2=80=99t that exciting or interesting.

http://screenrant.com/the-event-ratings-cancelation-pauly-81717/
2) LOST's final time-wasting season, with its sidevers-er, excuse me, =
=
its afterverse stories that added little to the show and its living =
characters.
3) MAD MEN's season finale. Really? After an entire season building a =
=
healthy, mature, relationship with the consultant, Don dumps her and =
proposes to his secretary--because Anna left him a ring in her will? T=
he =
level of coincidences surpassed the cheesiest of romcoms.
"And let's be honest, is it fun to watch?" - Damon Lindelof
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/10/29/pm-life-with-n=
o-more-lost/

33 Ending or Cancelled TV Shows for the 2010 =E2=80=93 2011 TV Season
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/cancelled-tv-shows-2010-2011-18896/

18 to Life (The CW)
A comedic series, about a pair of teens who get married on a dare, didn=E2=
=80=99t =

register with US viewers. It=E2=80=99s already been renewed in Canada fo=
r a second =

season. Though the series was confirmed as cancelled in the US, producer=
s =

have been told that the remaining season one episodes will be run in =

December and the network might be interested in season two.

100 Questions (NBC)
This sitcom went through a lot of changes before it got to the small =

screen and was postponed until after the regular season. The ratings wer=
e =

terrible so it was cancelled after six episodes. The last one aired on =

July 1, 2010. We never saw Charlotte Payne find her match.

As the World Turns (CBS)
This venerable soap opera was incredibly popular in its day but has been=
=

struggling for years now. After 54 years on the air, viewers have had to=
=

say goodbye to the residents of Oakdale. The last episode aired on =

September 17, 2010.

At the Movies (syndicated)
Movie critics Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert began this TV show in 1986 und=
er =

the title Siskel & Ebert & the Movies. The title changed several times =

over the years. Siskel died in 1999 and Ebert had to step away during hi=
s =

battle with throat cancer in 2006. Other hosts replaced them but couldn=E2=
=80=99t =

recapture the magic of the original sparring critics. It was cancelled a=
nd =

the last episode aired on August 14, 2010. Ebert later announced that he=
=

and his wife had plans for their own version of the series.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold (Cartoon Network)
This animated series teams the caped crusader with lesser-known heroes a=
nd =

often pays homage to the Adam West TV show from the 1960s. It lasted for=
=

two seasons before being cancelled.

Big Love (HBO)
The series about a Utah man and his wives comes to a close after five =

seasons on the air. The last season of episodes will begin airing on =

Sunday, January 16, 2011.

Breakthrough with Tony Robbins (NBC)
A feel-good show in which motivational speaker Tony Robbins works with =

troubled families on a personal level didn=E2=80=99t connect with viewer=
s. NBC =

cancelled the summer series after two episodes. The remaining four =

installments were released online.

The Bridge (CBS)
This is a Canadian TV show that follows a cop who=E2=80=99s elected to h=
ead the =

police union. While it=E2=80=99s popular enough in Canada to be renewed =
for a =

second season, CBS buried it on Saturday nights and, not surprisingly, i=
t =

didn=E2=80=99t find an audience in the US. CBS cancelled it after three =
episodes =

but CTV will air season two.

Caprica (Syfy)
The Battlestar Galactica prequel didn=E2=80=99t bring many viewers so it=
was =

cancelled after one season. The final five episodes will air in a marath=
on =

on January 4, 2011. On the positive side, another prequel is in the work=
s =

and will be more similar in tone to BSG.

Dark Blue (TNT)
A cop drama, which stars Dylan McDermott as the leader of an undercover =
=

unit, wasn=E2=80=99t much of a success in season one but the cable chann=
el still =

renewed it. The ratings got lower in season two so TNT cancelled it. The=
=

last two episodes aired on September 15, 2010.

Entourage (HBO)
A comedy-drama that follows the acting career of Vincent Chase and his =

boyhood friends from Queens, NY. The pay-for-view cable channel has =

announced that season eight will be the TV show=E2=80=99s last. The fina=
l batch of =

episodes are expected to air in Summer 2011.

Friday Night Lights (DirecTV=E2=80=99s Channel 101, NBC)
Centered around high school football in Dillon, Texas, it=E2=80=99s been=
announced =

that the critically-acclaimed (but ratings-challenged) television series=
=

is ending after five seasons on the air.

The Gates (ABC)
The summer serial revolves around a gated community that=E2=80=99s popul=
ated by =

people with supernatural secrets. Though vampires and magic are very =

popular with viewers, this one didn=E2=80=99t catch on. It won=E2=80=99t=
be back for a =

second season.

Gravity (Starz)
A comedic and dramatic look at an out-patient program for suicide =

survivors, this television program never found a large audience. It was =
=

cancelled after 10 episodes with the last one airing on June 25, 2010.

Hannah Montana (Disney Channel)
Miley Cyrus has decided to call it quits and move on after four seasons.=
=

The final episodes are expected to air by Spring 2011.

Huge (ABC Family)
Nikki Blonsky stars in this drama about a summer weight-loss camp called=
=

Camp Victory. The series didn=E2=80=99t get enough viewers for the cable=
channel =

so it was dropped after just 10 episodes. The =E2=80=9Cseries finale=E2=80=
=9D ran on =

August 30, 2010.

JONAS LA (Disney Channel)
The trio of Jonas brothers may still be popular with the pre-teens but =

their TV show never caught on. It began as JONAS with the boys attending=
=

school on the East coast. The moved west and the show=E2=80=99s title ch=
anged but =

the ratings didn=E2=80=99t get better. No season three.

Larry King Live (CNN)
In June 2010, venerable interviewer Larry King announced that he would b=
e =

leaving the grind of hosting his own nightly show after more than 25 =

years. His program will be replaced by one hosted by British television =
=

personality and journalist Piers Morgan.

Law & Order: Criminal Intent (USA)
Vincent D=E2=80=99Onofrio and Kathryn Erbe return for this venerable cri=
me drama=E2=80=99s =

final season of eight episodes. They will air in 2011.

Lone Star (FOX)
The critics and some viewers loved it but Lone Star never found an =

audience. Revolving around a con man who has a conscience, FOX pulled it=
=

after two nights of disastrously bad ratings. There are four episodes le=
ft =

unaired.

Medium (CBS)
The network saved the show when NBC cancelled it after five seasons. It =
=

performed decently on Friday nights last season but, this year, the =

ratings have taken a serious hit. CBS cut the season order to 13 =

installments and that will be the end of it.

My Boys (TBS)
Revolving around a female sports writer in Chicago, this sitcom ran for =
49 =

episodes and four seasons. TBS cancelled it so we=E2=80=99ll likely neve=
r find out =

how the story of PJ and her friends comes to a close.

My Generation (ABC)
A new drama that follows a group of high school students some 10 years =

after they graduated. The series stumbled out of the gate and ABC pulled=
=

it after two episodes had aired. The remaining six have been released =

online.

No. 1 Ladies=E2=80=99 Detective Agency (HBO)
Produced in conjunction with the BBC, this series follows a small =

detective agency in Botswana, run by Mma Ramotswe. The show is finished =
as =

a TV series after seven installments but may return as a pair of movies.=

Outlaw (NBC)
Jimmy Smits has had some good luck and some bad luck on TV. Unfortunatel=
y, =

this drama about a former Supreme Court Justice was ignored by most =

viewers. NBC cancelled it after four episodes had aired. The remaining =

four installments were shifted to Saturday nights.

The Oprah Winfrey Show (syndicated)
The queen of daytime talk is stepping down and will launch new programmi=
ng =

on the new OWN cable channel in Fall 2011. The final episode of Winfrey=E2=
=80=99s =

syndicated show will air on September 9, 2011

Party Down (Starz)
Following a group of aspiring writers, actors and misfits as they work a=
s =

a catering team, this series ran for two seasons and 20 episodes. The la=
st =

episode, which was hardly watched, ran on June 25, 2010.

Persons Unknown (NBC)
A group of strangers find themselves trapped in small town and are under=
=

constant scrutiny of security cameras. The show tanked in the ratings on=
=

Monday nights and was shuffled off to Saturdays, the TV graveyard. NBC =

promoted it as a self-contained series but plenty of things were left =

unresolved by the end. The finale aired on August 28, 2010.

Rubicon (AMC)
A conspiracy thriller that takes place in a government intelligence agen=
cy =

was highly praised but not highly watched. The 13th and final episode =

aired on October 17th.

Secret Diary of a Call Girl (Showtime)
Star and executive producer Billie Piper signed a deal for the fourth an=
d =

final season of this UK series. They=E2=80=99ll begin airing on ITV2 in =
late =

January 2011. There=E2=80=99s no word yet on when they=E2=80=99ll run in=
the US.

Smallville (The CW)
After 10 seasons, it looks like Clark Kent will finally become Superman.=
=

Will we get to see the man of steel slip on the familiar blue and red =

tights before the end? We=E2=80=99ll have to wait and see.

Undercovers (NBC)
An action-comedy series that revolves around a husband and wife spy duo =
=

never really got off the ground. The peacock network has decided against=
=

ordering anymore episodes, effectively cancelling the TV show.

The Whole Truth (ABC)
This legal series starring Rob Morrow and Maura Tierney had lousy premie=
re =

numbers and the ratings seemed to sink lower every week. It=E2=80=99s no=
t known if =

the network will get around to airing all of the episodes.
Vic Mackey and Darla / Rita are stuck in very disappointing live actio=
n =
version of THE INCREDIBLES. They deserve better.
CAPRICA didn't learn to improve and came back with the same pointless =
=
meandering boring stories.
STARGATE UNIVERSE finally started getting really interesting and =
embracing its scifi roots--so natch it's only then does it get canned.=
HUMAN TARGET dumps Bear McCreary, and if that wasn't stupid enough, th=
ey =

-- Ken from Chicago
-- =

http://www.lostdude.com
Adam H. Kerman
2010-12-19 22:51:08 UTC
33 Ending or Cancelled TV Shows for the 2010 – 2011 TV Season
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/cancelled-tv-shows-2010-2011-18896/
This is a pointless list. I have some comments, though.
Entourage (HBO)
A comedy-drama that follows the acting career of Vincent Chase and his
boyhood friends from Queens, NY. The pay-for-view cable channel has
announced that season eight will be the TV show’s last. The final batch of
episodes are expected to air in Summer 2011.
What the fuck? Cancelled after eight seasons? Oh my god, the bastards!
HBO never gave the show a chance to find its audience. How could they?
Hannah Montana (Disney Channel)
Miley Cyrus has decided to call it quits and move on after four seasons.
The final episodes are expected to air by Spring 2011.
Uh, duh. Disney doesn't have child actresses play pre-teens until they are 30.
Larry King Live (CNN)
In June 2010, venerable interviewer Larry King announced that he would be
leaving the grind of hosting his own nightly show after more than 25
years. His program will be replaced by one hosted by British television
personality and journalist Piers Morgan.
25 years? The bastards! They never gave Larry King a chance to catch on!
Law & Order: Criminal Intent (USA)
Vincent D'Onofrio and Kathryn Erbe return for this venerable crime drama’s
final season of eight episodes. They will air in 2011.
What's the disappointment here, that D'Onofrio got his job back?
Lone Star (FOX)
The critics and some viewers loved it but Lone Star never found an
audience. Revolving around a con man who has a conscience, FOX pulled it
after two nights of disastrously bad ratings. There are four episodes left
unaired.
The big con was that the show got green lit in the first place. Now,
"The Riches" was intriguing, cancelled during the writers strike and
not allowed to complete its episode order, even though that show had
very serious problems. I didn't see Lone Star going anywhere.
Medium (CBS)
The network saved the show when NBC cancelled it after five seasons. It
performed decently on Friday nights last season but, this year, the
ratings have taken a serious hit. CBS cut the season order to 13
installments and that will be the end of it.
The only disappointment is that NBC allowed Medium to get pretty bad
much of the time. The two CBS seasons were a big improvement.

Just once, I would like Allison to acknowledge that her ghosts
manipulate her to save some of the craziness for the first 2/3rds of
each episode.
No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (HBO)
Produced in conjunction with the BBC, this series follows a small
detective agency in Botswana, run by Mma Ramotswe. The show is finished as
a TV series after seven installments but may return as a pair of movies.
Fantastic. Almost all-American cast! I wonder if Botswana natives found
the accents realistic.
Outlaw (NBC)
Jimmy Smits has had some good luck and some bad luck on TV. Unfortunately,
this drama about a former Supreme Court Justice was ignored by most
viewers. NBC cancelled it after four episodes had aired. The remaining
four installments were shifted to Saturday nights.
Not cancelled soon enough.
Persons Unknown (NBC)
A group of strangers find themselves trapped in small town and are under
constant scrutiny of security cameras. The show tanked in the ratings on
Monday nights and was shuffled off to Saturdays, the TV graveyard. NBC
promoted it as a self-contained series but plenty of things were left
unresolved by the end. The finale aired on August 28, 2010.
Actually, NBC didn't even air one episode. Had to watch it On Demand
or on line.

I watched it. I have no idea why. It had very little going for it.
Rubicon (AMC)
A conspiracy thriller that takes place in a government intelligence agency
was highly praised but not highly watched. The 13th and final episode
aired on October 17th.
Truly disappointing. This should have been wrapped in six episodes,
mini-series style. There wasn't enough material for an entire season,
and now that we know the writers never intended to wrap it up at all
makes me hate their guts.

I don't mind how slow the first two episodes were and that isn't
my complaint about lack of material. The cast was uniformly excellent
and we would have watched them read names from a phone book. Outstanding
among the excellent cast were Dallas Roberts as Miles, and Arliss Howard
as the frightening Kale. And yes, whoever said "Truxton Spangler is the
greatest supervillain name ever," I agree with.
Secret Diary of a Call Girl (Showtime)
Star and executive producer Billie Piper signed a deal for the fourth and
final season of this UK series. They'll begin airing on ITV2 in late
January 2011. There’s no word yet on when they’ll run in the US.
I watched a few of them. Dreck.
Smallville (The CW)
After 10 seasons, it looks like Clark Kent will finally become Superman.
Will we get to see the man of steel slip on the familiar blue and red
tights before the end? We'll have to wait and see.
Not if we all drink the kool-aid first.
Undercovers (NBC)
An action-comedy series that revolves around a husband and wife spy duo
never really got off the ground. The peacock network has decided against
ordering anymore episodes, effectively cancelling the TV show.
Well, it looked pretty. Gugu Mbatha-Raw was fabulously sexy, an absolutely
stunning woman. Too bad the characters were so awful.
The Whole Truth (ABC)
This legal series starring Rob Morrow and Maura Tierney had lousy premiere
numbers and the ratings seemed to sink lower every week. It's not known if
the network will get around to airing all of the episodes.
It wasn't bad, but it mostly wasn't good. The plots left a lot to be
desired, like logical motives. Rob Morrow gave a very convincing performance.
I believed he was Irish. But what's the point of having Eamonn Walker in
your main cast, then completely wasting the actor?
thinbluemime
2010-12-19 23:20:33 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
33 Ending or Cancelled TV Shows for the 2010 =C3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=80=9C=
2011 TV Season
Post by Adam H. Kerman
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/cancelled-tv-shows-2010-2011-18896/=
This is a pointless list. I have some comments, though.
Besides the few long running shows in the list, how is this list of shor=
t =

lived series pointless in a thread titled,
"Top tv disappointments for 2010"

BTW, I avoided nearly all the shows and opted out to read the list =

instead. It saved me countless hours of worthless television viewing and=
=

all the accompanying commercial ads.

If you look at the list, Lost is exceptional TV, when the apparent short=
=

lived shows must nearly all have been disappointments for 2010.

----------------

BRUBAKER: The year that Alan Moore was at San Diego I was working at a =

booth with a retailer and [the late Marvel and DC writer-editor] Archie =
=

Goodwin was buying some comics. And I started talking about [Marvel=E2=80=
=99s] =

Epic Comics line [which Goodwin edited at the time]. I was 17 or somethi=
ng =

and he asked me who my favorite writer was and I said, =E2=80=9CAlan Moo=
re. I just =

think he=E2=80=99s so original.=E2=80=9D He said, =E2=80=9CLet me tell y=
ou something, kid. There =

are a few things that I=E2=80=99ve ever learned that have stuck with me =
about =

writing.=E2=80=9D He said, =E2=80=9COriginality is completely overrated.=
Alan Moore isn=E2=80=99t =

great because he=E2=80=99s
original. There are only five ideas in the world. Alan Moore is great =

because of the way he tells those stories.=E2=80=9D
http://www.lostdude.com/lostpdf/THEWIZARDQ&A.WATCHMEN/THE WIZARD Q&A - =

WATCHMEN 03-03.pdf
Post by Adam H. Kerman
boyhood friends from Queens, NY. The pay-for-view cable channel has
announced that season eight will be the TV show=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=84=A2=
s last. The final =
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Law & Order: Criminal Intent (USA)
Vincent D'Onofrio and Kathryn Erbe return for this venerable crime =
drama=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=84=A2s
Post by Adam H. Kerman
greatest supervillain name ever," I agree with.
Secret Diary of a Call Girl (Showtime)
Star and executive producer Billie Piper signed a deal for the fourth=
=
Post by Adam H. Kerman
and
final season of this UK series. They'll begin airing on ITV2 in late
January 2011. There=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=84=A2s no word yet on when they=
=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=84=A2ll run in the US.

http://www.lostdude.com
Adam H. Kerman
2010-12-19 23:31:45 UTC
Post by thinbluemime
Post by Adam H. Kerman
33 Ending or Cancelled TV Shows for the 2010-2011 TV Season
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/cancelled-tv-shows-2010-2011-18896/
This is a pointless list. I have some comments, though.
Besides the few long running shows in the list,
That's one of the aspects that makes it pointless. There's no good reason
to claim disappointment when a long-running show goes off the air.
Post by thinbluemime
how is this list of short lived series pointless in a thread titled,
"Top tv disappointments for 2010"
What's disappointing about short-lived shows? I might like one or hate
it. If I hate it, then I'm not disappointed that it was cancelled, although
I might be disappointed that the show failed to meet my expectations.

It's just a list of shows that ended, not disappointing television.

As I said before, if Rubicon were a mini-series, I would have been
very satisfied indeed.
Post by thinbluemime
BTW, I avoided nearly all the shows and opted out to read the list
instead. It saved me countless hours of worthless television viewing and
all the accompanying commercial ads.
Sigh. I would welcome your opinion a lot more than a repost of
someone else's. You might have commented on something I wrote.
Snarf. I watched Lost, so I know better.
thinbluemime
2010-12-19 23:50:24 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by thinbluemime
BTW, I avoided nearly all the shows and opted out to read the list
instead. It saved me countless hours of worthless television viewing and
all the accompanying commercial ads.
Sigh. I would welcome your opinion a lot more than a repost of
someone else's. You might have commented on something I wrote.
I sampled a few of the shows and decided most were not worth my time. So I
used the list as Clift Notes, I saved time, eyeballs and frustration.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by thinbluemime
If you look at the list, Lost is exceptional TV, when the apparent short
lived shows must nearly all have been disappointments for 2010.
Snarf. I watched Lost, so I know better.
Not everyone agrees of course, but it is common knowledge that Lost was
not canceled, Lost was followed closely for 6 years, the 6th season DVD
sales look good, and Lost still has a loyal fan base. Lostaholics
Anonymous: The Finale, Part 2

http://nikkistafford.blogspot.com/2010/12/lostaholics-anonymous-finale-part-2.html

If my plumber plumbed, like Hollywood writes, we'd be knee deep in dookie.
http://www.lostdude.com
Adam H. Kerman
2010-12-19 22:28:43 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
[SPOILER ALERT for the series and and season finales of LOST, MAD MEN, and
kinda BATTLESTAR GALACTICA]
Ken misses biggest disappointment: The continued existence of CW, still
preventing the syndication market from being resurrectd.
Post by Ken from Chicago
1) LOST's pointless, irritating, arbitrary, character-wasting,
rerun-episode-watching-negating, character-wasting series finale.
Lost had some truly awful episodes in that last season, especially the
reveal of the back story. It did, however, inspire one of Ken's classic,
snarky Subject headers, something about having a sociopath for a mother.
Post by Ken from Chicago
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA showed how to combine traditional scifi with
traditional fantasy (hello, from the beginning of the reboot mini-series,
they've been pointing to the cylon God--and he has a plan). Lost combined
the two in the worst way possible.
Uh, Ken, we all watched it and wanted to cleanse our minds of the
horribleness of the series.
Post by Ken from Chicago
CAPRICA didn't learn to improve and came back with the same pointless
meandering boring stories.
Oh, I don't know. It had nowhere to go but up. It got less awful. You've
got to acknowledge dumping the original Mrs. Graystone personality made
her scenes watchable.
Post by Ken from Chicago
HUMAN TARGET dumps Bear McCreary, and if that wasn't stupid enough, they
http://youtu.be/QNJ0UEYdcFo
http://youtu.be/Tol5333xgUs
http://youtu.be/8_9lLJImqu0
Oh, I absolutely agree. In the era of elimination of opening themes from
all tv shows, that was one fabulous work of incidental music. That would
comparable to firing Dave Grusin from "It Takes a Thief", whose great
music allowed you to ignore the cheesiness of the '60's opening credits.
Ken from Chicago
2010-12-19 23:10:35 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
1) LOST's pointless, irritating, arbitrary, character-wasting,
rerun-episode-watching-negating, character-wasting series finale.
Lost had some truly awful episodes in that last season, especially the
reveal of the back story. It did, however, inspire one of Ken's classic,
snarky Subject headers, something about having a sociopath for a mother.
Ah, I take it you mean this:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.tv.lost/msg/e286793bc44d5ff9?hl=en

Poor, poor Daniel Faraday.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Ken from Chicago
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA showed how to combine traditional scifi with
traditional fantasy (hello, from the beginning of the reboot mini-series,
they've been pointing to the cylon God--and he has a plan). Lost combined
the two in the worst way possible.
Uh, Ken, we all watched it and wanted to cleanse our minds of the
horribleness of the series.
There, there, you watch reruns of BSG all you want to erase the yuckiness of
the LOST finale from your mind.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Ken from Chicago
CAPRICA didn't learn to improve and came back with the same pointless
meandering boring stories.
Oh, I don't know. It had nowhere to go but up. It got less awful. You've
got to acknowledge dumping the original Mrs. Graystone personality made
her scenes watchable.
True, but her time in terrorville as a mole was tiresome.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Ken from Chicago
HUMAN TARGET dumps Bear McCreary, and if that wasn't stupid enough, they
http://youtu.be/QNJ0UEYdcFo
http://youtu.be/Tol5333xgUs
http://youtu.be/8_9lLJImqu0
Oh, I absolutely agree. In the era of elimination of opening themes from
all tv shows, that was one fabulous work of incidental music. That would
comparable to firing Dave Grusin from "It Takes a Thief", whose great
music allowed you to ignore the cheesiness of the '60's opening credits.
Mmm, early 1970s theme music.

It's so ... Mannix!

-- Ken from Chicago (who's in living color)
Adam H. Kerman
2010-12-19 23:49:43 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Ken from Chicago
1) LOST's pointless, irritating, arbitrary, character-wasting,
rerun-episode-watching-negating, character-wasting series finale.
Lost had some truly awful episodes in that last season, especially the
reveal of the back story. It did, however, inspire one of Ken's classic,
snarky Subject headers, something about having a sociopath for a mother.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.tv.lost/msg/e286793bc44d5ff9?hl=en
Poor, poor Daniel Faraday.
No, not that one.
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Ken from Chicago
HUMAN TARGET dumps Bear McCreary, and if that wasn't stupid enough, they
http://youtu.be/QNJ0UEYdcFo
http://youtu.be/Tol5333xgUs
http://youtu.be/8_9lLJImqu0
Oh, I absolutely agree. In the era of elimination of opening themes from
all tv shows, that was one fabulous work of incidental music. That would
comparable to firing Dave Grusin from "It Takes a Thief", whose great
music allowed you to ignore the cheesiness of the '60's opening credits.
Mmm, early 1970s theme music.
http://youtu.be/AKT_hWv_fbQ
The YouTube poster got it wrong, and one of the comments is correct. That
is the opening title sequence from Season 3, 1969-1970, for those weeks
in which Fred Astaire did not appear. That season had a Fred Astaire
version as well.

But as far as I can tell, it's the same arrangement as Season 2, 1968-1969.
Season 1 had shorter opening titles. The show was produced for mid season
1967-1968 and aired winter and spring.

I've never seen the pilot in anything close to its original edit, but
that would have had completely different theme music, not written by Grusin.

Defintely not 1970's music. Opening themes weren't jazz that I can think
of, although plenty of movies in the 1970's hired Lalo Schifrin to
compose their main themes.
Post by Ken from Chicago
It's so ... Mannix!
What, the split screen? Everyone copied The Thomas Crown Affair.

Personally, I think Mannix's theme is lesser Lalo Schifrin incidental music.
Grusin did not copy Schifrin. The two are rather distinct.
Micky DuPree
2010-12-30 13:02:22 UTC
"Adam H. Kerman" <***@chinet.com> writes:

: Ken from Chicago <***@comcast.net> wrote:

:: "Adam H. Kerman" <***@chinet.com> wrote:

::: That would comparable to firing Dave Grusin from "It Takes a Thief",
::: whose great music allowed you to ignore the cheesiness of the '60's
::: opening credits.

Pretty advanced technically for the time, though, by which I don't mean
what they were capable of doing with the hardware available to them, but
what they were willing to do with the now adolescent medium and an
audience that wanted more than the typically static, slow opening titles
of 1950s and early 1960s shows.

:: It's so ... Mannix!
:
: What, the split screen? Everyone copied The Thomas Crown Affair.

But both _Mannix_ and _It Takes a Thief_ debuted before _The Thomas
Crown Affair_ was released.

-Micky

Nobody
2010-12-20 05:41:50 UTC
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 17:10:35 -0600, "Ken from Chicago"
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[SPOILER ALERT for the series and and season finales of <snip>
kinda BATTLESTAR GALACTICA]
CAPRICA didn't learn to improve and came back with the same pointless
meandering boring stories.
Oh, I don't know. It had nowhere to go but up. It got less awful. You've
Yep, it got less awful, the last four or five episodes of the series
were actually watchable.
Her time at home whining about husband and daughter was even more so.
c***@yahoo.com
2010-12-21 06:30:11 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Ken from Chicago
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA showed how to combine traditional scifi with
traditional fantasy (hello, from the beginning of the reboot mini-series,
they've been pointing to the cylon God--and he has a plan). Lost combined
the two in the worst way possible.
Uh, Ken, we all watched it and wanted to cleanse our minds of the
horribleness of the series.
There, there, you watch reruns of BSG all you want to erase the yuckiness of
the LOST finale from your mind.
Some of us don't consider the Lost finale yucky, Ken.

OTOH, Nikki and Paulo were far more interesting than just about every
BSG character.

Brandon
Dimensional Traveler
2010-12-20 01:01:50 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Ken from Chicago
[SPOILER ALERT for the series and and season finales of LOST, MAD MEN, and
kinda BATTLESTAR GALACTICA]
Ken misses biggest disappointment: The continued existence of CW, still
preventing the syndication market from being resurrectd.
The syndication market is alive and well. Stations still need to fill
the hours after the last news & before the morning shows; the mid-day &
afternoon hours not filled by the network soaps; and the weekend hours
not filled by sports.
--
"There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a
stick."
Adam H. Kerman
2010-12-20 01:07:25 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Ken misses biggest disappointment: The continued existence of CW, still
preventing the syndication market from being resurrectd.
The syndication market is alive and well. Stations still need to fill
the hours after the last news & before the morning shows; the mid-day &
afternoon hours not filled by the network soaps; and the weekend hours
not filled by sports.
There aren't any prime time hours left to fill, which is what I was
discussing. In the long run, I'd expect more possibility of entertainment
from first-run syndication versus fifth network.
Dimensional Traveler
2010-12-20 04:03:56 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Ken misses biggest disappointment: The continued existence of CW, still
preventing the syndication market from being resurrectd.
The syndication market is alive and well. Stations still need to fill
the hours after the last news& before the morning shows; the mid-day&
afternoon hours not filled by the network soaps; and the weekend hours
not filled by sports.
There aren't any prime time hours left to fill, which is what I was
discussing. In the long run, I'd expect more possibility of entertainment
from first-run syndication versus fifth network.
Blame the rise of cable then. Its probably more responsible for
whatever exactly your complaint is than CW. There are still plenty of
unaffiliated OTA broadcast stations in the major markets. Any that
joined Fox when it started got replaced with new ones, many of which
then joined CW when _it_ got started and have in turn been replaced by
still newer ones.
--
"There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a
stick."
Adam H. Kerman
2010-12-20 04:37:14 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Ken misses biggest disappointment: The continued existence of CW, still
preventing the syndication market from being resurrectd.
The syndication market is alive and well. Stations still need to fill
the hours after the last news& before the morning shows; the mid-day&
afternoon hours not filled by the network soaps; and the weekend hours
not filled by sports.
There aren't any prime time hours left to fill, which is what I was
discussing. In the long run, I'd expect more possibility of entertainment
from first-run syndication versus fifth network.
Blame the rise of cable then. Its probably more responsible for
whatever exactly your complaint is than CW.
How can I blame cable? It didn't eliminate any slots in prime time that
first-run syndication could be sold in.
Post by Dimensional Traveler
There are still plenty of unaffiliated OTA broadcast stations in the
major markets.
Really? We have just one station that for whatever reason rarely
buys first-run syndication. There are affiliates of each of the three
Spanish-language networks.
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Any that joined Fox when it started got replaced with new ones, many of
which then joined CW when _it_ got started and have in turn been replaced
by still newer ones.
I know that further broadcast license consolidation led to affiliation
changes, but Fox has two O&O's here. The second O&O was purchased when
Congress legalized multiple licenses in major markets. Alas, that station
had been a big purchaser of first-run syndication and was the PTEN
affiliate, if you recall that aborted fifth-network attempt.
Dimensional Traveler
2010-12-20 08:58:49 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Ken misses biggest disappointment: The continued existence of CW, still
preventing the syndication market from being resurrectd.
The syndication market is alive and well. Stations still need to fill
the hours after the last news& before the morning shows; the mid-day&
afternoon hours not filled by the network soaps; and the weekend hours
not filled by sports.
There aren't any prime time hours left to fill, which is what I was
discussing. In the long run, I'd expect more possibility of entertainment
from first-run syndication versus fifth network.
Blame the rise of cable then. Its probably more responsible for
whatever exactly your complaint is than CW.
How can I blame cable? It didn't eliminate any slots in prime time that
first-run syndication could be sold in.
Cable became the place where first-run syndication went to. Most of the
various cable-produced new shows are basically just that. Cable
channels need to fill their schedules too.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Dimensional Traveler
There are still plenty of unaffiliated OTA broadcast stations in the
major markets.
Really? We have just one station that for whatever reason rarely
buys first-run syndication. There are affiliates of each of the three
Spanish-language networks.
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Any that joined Fox when it started got replaced with new ones, many of
which then joined CW when _it_ got started and have in turn been replaced
by still newer ones.
I know that further broadcast license consolidation led to affiliation
changes, but Fox has two O&O's here. The second O&O was purchased when
Congress legalized multiple licenses in major markets. Alas, that station
had been a big purchaser of first-run syndication and was the PTEN
affiliate, if you recall that aborted fifth-network attempt.
I do recall. A couple of the networks have second stations here too and
I can still come up with half-a-dozen unaffiliated English-language
local stations without trying plus the Spanish language stations/networks.
--
"There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a
stick."
Adam H. Kerman
2010-12-20 09:12:19 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Half a dozen unaffiliated? No fucking way. What, are you counting low
power stations? We have a few low-powered stations, but they are brokered,
if not fully cleared for international programming from a single source
each. There's another on the edge of the metropolitan area that's
brokered religious programming or may just be fully cleared to one religious
broadcaster. There's another on the edge of the metropolitan area that
I didn't count but might have as it broadcasts to a good chunk of the
area, that's fully brokered.

I wasn't counting subchannels.

At the most, I have two independent tv stations. All the rest have affiliations
ranging from English and Spanish networks, public broadcasting, and quasi
network but not exactly fifth network deals like MyNetworkTV and whatever
replaced PAX. Even if I counted those two as independents, the nationally
distributed shows they receive aren't first-run programming.

A couple of the broadcast licenses started as fully cleared for Home Shopping
Network and QVC, but they affiliated with the second and third Spanish language
television networks.
Ken Wesson
2010-12-23 03:39:18 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Ken from Chicago
[SPOILER ALERT for the series and and season finales of LOST, MAD MEN,
and kinda BATTLESTAR GALACTICA]
Ken misses biggest disappointment: The continued existence of CW, still
preventing the syndication market from being resurrectd.
The syndication market is alive and well. Stations still need to fill
the hours after the last news & before the morning shows; the mid-day &
afternoon hours not filled by the network soaps; and the weekend hours
not filled by sports.
Where I live, they seem to fill those hours with ads -- nothing but ads
followed by more ads and yet more ads.

I don't see the point, since with no actual SHOW mixed in with the ads
nobody will tune in to see the ads, but oh well. I guess some suckers
will pay to advertise to a likely audience size of zero, and pay well
enough that the TV stations can make a little more money at those hours
than they would by airing a test pattern, while having only about the
same costs.
erilar
2010-12-23 14:07:04 UTC
Post by Ken Wesson
Where I live, they seem to fill those hours with ads -- nothing but ads
followed by more ads and yet more ads.
I don't see the point, since with no actual SHOW mixed in with the ads
nobody will tune in to see the ads, but oh well. I guess some suckers
will pay to advertise to a likely audience size of zero, and pay well
enough that the TV stations can make a little more money at those hours
than they would by airing a test pattern, while having only about the
same costs.
Personally, I much prefer test patterns to those things; you could turn
on a channel before the morning news and do something while you waited
for it to begin without nausea.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.mosaictelecom.com/~erilarlo
Ian Galbraith
2010-12-19 23:46:21 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
[SPOILER ALERT for the series and and season finales of LOST, MAD MEN, and
kinda BATTLESTAR GALACTICA]
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Post by Ken from Chicago
3) MAD MEN's season finale. Really? After an entire season building a
healthy, mature, relationship with the consultant, Don dumps her and
proposes to his secretary--because Anna left him a ring in her will?
Er no, sounds like you need to watch it again.
Post by Ken from Chicago
The level of coincidences surpassed the cheesiest of romcoms.
Not really, its perfectly within Don's character to do as he did. We're
just conditioned to expect that the lead character of a show who is at
least somewhat sympathetic will make a rational decision that will lead
to him becoming a better character. When the opposite happens we don't
like it, it doesn't make it a bad episode just a downer of one.
Post by Ken from Chicago
Vic Mackey and Darla / Rita are stuck in very disappointing live action
version of THE INCREDIBLES. They deserve better.
Agree.

[snip]
Post by Ken from Chicago
HUMAN TARGET dumps Bear McCreary, and if that wasn't stupid enough, they
The changes to Human Target rank as one of my biggest disappointments.
--
"Past hope. Past kindness or consideration. Past justice. Past
satisfaction. Past warmth or cold or comfort. Past love. But past
Deadwood
Dimensional Traveler
2010-12-20 01:06:21 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
The level of coincidences surpassed the cheesiest of romcoms.
Not really, its perfectly within Don's character to do as he did. We're
just conditioned to expect that the lead character of a show who is at
least somewhat sympathetic will make a rational decision that will lead
to him becoming a better character. When the opposite happens we don't
like it, it doesn't make it a bad episode just a downer of one.
What he said. It helps if you keep in mind that the show is about a
man's slow _self-destruction_.
--
"There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a
stick."
Anim8rFSK
2010-12-20 02:48:16 UTC
Post by Ian Galbraith
Post by Ken from Chicago
HUMAN TARGET dumps Bear McCreary, and if that wasn't stupid enough, they
The changes to Human Target rank as one of my biggest disappointments.
I'm at the point I wish it hadn't come back at all.
--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"
Nobody
2010-12-20 01:39:18 UTC
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 14:44:48 -0600, "Ken from Chicago"
<***@comcast.net> wrote:

My top TV disappointment for 2010 is the cancellation of Terriers.
Everything else pales in comparison.
Anim8rFSK
2010-12-20 02:44:39 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
[SPOILER ALERT for the series and and season finales of LOST, MAD MEN, and
kinda BATTLESTAR GALACTICA]
1) LOST's pointless, irritating, arbitrary, character-wasting,
rerun-episode-watching-negating, character-wasting series finale. BATTLESTAR
GALACTICA showed how to combine traditional scifi with traditional fantasy
(hello, from the beginning of the reboot mini-series, they've been pointing
to the cylon God--and he has a plan). Lost combined the two in the worst way
possible.
Can't give you that; bad as LOST's finale was, BSG's was equally bad.
Both reached back and spat on the series, and reached out and spat on
the viewers. The only reason LOST feels worst is because there was a
time when LOST was actually good.
Post by Ken from Chicago
Vic Mackey and Darla / Rita are stuck in very disappointing live action
version of THE INCREDIBLES. They deserve better.
I'd have said Benjamin J. Grimm, but, yeah.
Post by Ken from Chicago
CAPRICA didn't learn to improve and came back with the same pointless
meandering boring stories.
STARGATE UNIVERSE finally started getting really interesting and embracing
its scifi roots--so natch it's only then does it get canned.
If only it had never been at all.
Post by Ken from Chicago
HUMAN TARGET dumps Bear McCreary, and if that wasn't stupid enough, they
http://youtu.be/QNJ0UEYdcFo
http://youtu.be/Tol5333xgUs
http://youtu.be/8_9lLJImqu0
Terrible, terrible retool.
--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"
Adam H. Kerman
2010-12-20 04:40:48 UTC
Post by Anim8rFSK
Post by Ken from Chicago
[SPOILER ALERT for the series and and season finales of LOST, MAD MEN, and
kinda BATTLESTAR GALACTICA]
1) LOST's pointless, irritating, arbitrary, character-wasting,
rerun-episode-watching-negating, character-wasting series finale. BATTLESTAR
GALACTICA showed how to combine traditional scifi with traditional fantasy
(hello, from the beginning of the reboot mini-series, they've been pointing
to the cylon God--and he has a plan). Lost combined the two in the worst way
possible.
Can't give you that; bad as LOST's finale was, BSG's was equally bad.
Both reached back and spat on the series, and reached out and spat on
the viewers. The only reason LOST feels worst is because there was a
time when LOST was actually good.
BSG had a happy ending. We all assumed they were going to die of exposure
after destroying all their technology.
KoshN
2010-12-20 06:27:31 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
[SPOILER ALERT for the series and and season finales of LOST, MAD MEN, and
kinda BATTLESTAR GALACTICA]
Vic Mackey and Darla / Rita are stuck in very disappointing live action
version of THE INCREDIBLES. They deserve better.
HUMAN TARGET dumps Bear McCreary, and if that wasn't stupid enough, they
trade a really great opening http://youtu.be/QNJ0UEYdcFo
for this piece of http://youtu.be/Tol5333xgUs
and worst of all, the original music works with the new http://youtu.be/8_9lLJImqu0
....plus the addition of Ilsa Pucci (Varma).

My list of Top TV Disappointments of 2010:

1) The Season 2 changes to HUMAN TARGET, except for the addition of
Janet Montgomery (Ames).
2) CRIMINAL MINDS - The deletion of A.J. Cook/J.J. Jareau and the
addition of her replacement, a younger blue-eyed blonde, and the fact
that Erin Strauss is still breathing.
3) HAWAII FIVE-0 (2010) - What a (popular) waste.
4) NO ORDINARY FAMILY - What a waste.
Adam H. Kerman
2010-12-20 07:12:29 UTC
Post by KoshN
Post by Ken from Chicago
Vic Mackey and Darla / Rita are stuck in very disappointing live action
version of THE INCREDIBLES. They deserve better.
HUMAN TARGET dumps Bear McCreary, and if that wasn't stupid enough, they
trade a really great opening http://youtu.be/QNJ0UEYdcFo
for this piece of http://youtu.be/Tol5333xgUs
and worst of all, the original music works with the new http://youtu.be/8_9lLJImqu0
....plus the addition of Ilsa Pucci (Varma).
1) The Season 2 changes to HUMAN TARGET, except for the addition of
Janet Montgomery (Ames).
2) CRIMINAL MINDS - The deletion of A.J. Cook/J.J. Jareau and the
addition of her replacement, a younger blue-eyed blonde, and the fact
that Erin Strauss is still breathing.
3) HAWAII FIVE-0 (2010) - What a (popular) waste.
4) NO ORDINARY FAMILY - What a waste.
What does disappointment mean to you? Did you have expectations of
Hawaii Five-0 (remake) or No Ordinary Family (derivative)? I didn't,
and wasn't disappointed. I watched a few episodes of Five-0, which
were a bit better than I had anticipated.
KoshN
2010-12-20 09:44:36 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by KoshN
Post by Ken from Chicago
[...]
I was hoping that it wouldn't be as BAD as it is. Being as bad as it
is, I was then hoping that it wouldn't be popular, and would be
quickly cancelled. I just can't win when it comes to H50 Ver.2. I
only watch for Scott Caan's snarky lines. I wish he and Daniel Dae
Kim were in something better.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
or No Ordinary Family (derivative)?
I like the two main leads and wish they were in something better.

It seems like writing has really gone to shit this season (e.g. H50
Ver. 2, NOF) and some of my favorite stars are held captive by crap
shows.
You must've anticipated CSI-H-level CRAP.
Adam H. Kerman
2010-12-20 10:15:21 UTC
Post by KoshN
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by KoshN
3) HAWAII FIVE-0 (2010) - What a (popular) waste.
4) NO ORDINARY FAMILY - What a waste.
What does disappointment mean to you? Did you have expectations of
Hawaii Five-0 (remake)
I was hoping that it wouldn't be as BAD as it is. Being as bad as it
is, I was then hoping that it wouldn't be popular, and would be
quickly cancelled. I just can't win when it comes to H50 Ver.2. I
only watch for Scott Caan's snarky lines. I wish he and Daniel Dae
Kim were in something better.
Exactly. Scott Caan is great. Still cannot be convinced that Daniel Dae Kim
is playing Chin Ho.
Post by KoshN
Post by Adam H. Kerman
or No Ordinary Family (derivative)?
I like the two main leads and wish they were in something better.
I don't always like Darla. I liked her on Dexter.
Post by KoshN
It seems like writing has really gone to shit this season (e.g. H50
Ver. 2, NOF) and some of my favorite stars are held captive by crap
shows.
Too bad overcoming crap writing isn't one of their superpowers.
Post by KoshN
Post by Adam H. Kerman
I didn't, and wasn't disappointed. I watched a few episodes of Five-0,
which were a bit better than I had anticipated.
You must've anticipated CSI-H-level CRAP.
My expections of remakes are always less than zero. Old television concepts
simply do not improve with the passing of years.
Ken from Chicago
2010-12-20 11:12:16 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by KoshN
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by KoshN
3) HAWAII FIVE-0 (2010) - What a (popular) waste.
4) NO ORDINARY FAMILY - What a waste.
What does disappointment mean to you? Did you have expectations of
Hawaii Five-0 (remake)
I was hoping that it wouldn't be as BAD as it is. Being as bad as it
is, I was then hoping that it wouldn't be popular, and would be
quickly cancelled. I just can't win when it comes to H50 Ver.2. I
only watch for Scott Caan's snarky lines. I wish he and Daniel Dae
Kim were in something better.
Exactly. Scott Caan is great. Still cannot be convinced that Daniel Dae Kim
is playing Chin Ho.
Who?

I'm pretty sure Grace Park ain't playing "Kono".
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by KoshN
Post by Adam H. Kerman
I didn't, and wasn't disappointed. I watched a few episodes of Five-0,
which were a bit better than I had anticipated.
You must've anticipated CSI-H-level CRAP.
My expections of remakes are always less than zero. Old television concepts
simply do not improve with the passing of years.
How say you on yon BATTLESTAR GALACTICA?

-- Ken from Chicago
Anim8rFSK
2010-12-20 16:32:08 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by KoshN
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by KoshN
3) HAWAII FIVE-0 (2010) - What a (popular) waste.
4) NO ORDINARY FAMILY - What a waste.
What does disappointment mean to you? Did you have expectations of
Hawaii Five-0 (remake)
I was hoping that it wouldn't be as BAD as it is. Being as bad as it
is, I was then hoping that it wouldn't be popular, and would be
quickly cancelled. I just can't win when it comes to H50 Ver.2. I
only watch for Scott Caan's snarky lines. I wish he and Daniel Dae
Kim were in something better.
Exactly. Scott Caan is great. Still cannot be convinced that Daniel Dae Kim
is playing Chin Ho.
Who?
I'm pretty sure Grace Park ain't playing "Kono".
You'd be pretty wrong.
--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"
Adam H. Kerman
2010-12-20 18:43:06 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Adam H. Kerman
My expections of remakes are always less than zero. Old television
concepts simply do not improve with the passing of years.
How say you on yon BATTLESTAR GALACTICA?
I wasn't a fan of the original, so I wasn't upset when the sex of important
characters was changed and it exceeded expectation. It's better than
other remakes. It had some decent acting. Overall, not very good. Vile
ending, but not really a betrayal of the series.
Ken from Chicago
2010-12-20 10:21:34 UTC
Post by KoshN
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by KoshN
Post by Ken from Chicago
[...]
Scott Caan is hysterically funny ("I wear a tie because I want to look like
a professional."). Too bad he busted his knee during shooting of the show.
It's why he's been on the sidelines more.

-- Ken from Chicago (who doesn't get the love affair CBS has with Alex
O'Loughlin or did he same some exec's life or what)
KoshN
2010-12-20 14:01:31 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by KoshN
Post by Ken from Chicago
[...]
O'Loughlin or did he save some exec's life or what)
(Fixed the typo above.)

Agreed on all counts.
Anim8rFSK
2010-12-20 16:30:32 UTC
In article
Post by KoshN
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by KoshN
Post by Ken from Chicago
Vic Mackey and Darla / Rita are stuck in very disappointing live action
version of THE INCREDIBLES. They deserve better.
HUMAN TARGET dumps Bear McCreary, and if that wasn't stupid enough, they
trade a really great opening
http://youtu.be/QNJ0UEYdcFo
for this piece of
http://youtu.be/Tol5333xgUs
and worst of all, the original music works with the new
9lLJImqu0&feature=related
....plus the addition of Ilsa Pucci (Varma).
1) The Season 2 changes to HUMAN TARGET, except for the addition of
Janet Montgomery (Ames).
2) CRIMINAL MINDS - The deletion of A.J. Cook/J.J. Jareau and the
addition of her replacement, a younger blue-eyed blonde, and the fact
that Erin Strauss is still breathing.
3) HAWAII FIVE-0 (2010) - What a (popular) waste.
4) NO ORDINARY FAMILY - What a waste.
What does disappointment mean to you? Did you have expectations of
Hawaii Five-0 (remake)
I was hoping that it wouldn't be as BAD as it is. Being as bad as it
I knew it would be this bad; Orci
Post by KoshN
is, I was then hoping that it wouldn't be popular, and would be
I knew it would be this popular; Orci
Post by KoshN
quickly cancelled. I just can't win when it comes to H50 Ver.2. I
only watch for Scott Caan's snarky lines. I wish he and Daniel Dae
Kim were in something better.
You don't watch for Grace Park?
Post by KoshN
Post by Adam H. Kerman
or No Ordinary Family (derivative)?
I like the two main leads and wish they were in something better.
Which at this point would include Hawai'i 5.1
Post by KoshN
It seems like writing has really gone to shit this season (e.g. H50
Ver. 2, NOF) and some of my favorite stars are held captive by crap
shows.
And some slob Aussies as well.
Post by KoshN
Post by Adam H. Kerman
I didn't,
and wasn't disappointed. I watched a few episodes of Five-0, which
were a bit better than I had anticipated.
You must've anticipated CSI-H-level CRAP.
And, amazingly, we got worse.
--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"
Ken from Chicago
2010-12-20 10:17:24 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by KoshN
Post by Ken from Chicago
[...]
Gotta agree. CBS is the meat and potatoes network. They bring out the
comfort food of tv, with a few twists in the seasoning. HAWAII 5-0 has been
enjoyable, right along with NCIS.

However NO ORDINARY FAMILY has actually proven worse then some of the tween
shows on ABC Family. KYLE XY did better (that is, less cringe-inducing) teen
angst than NOF.

-- Ken from Chicago
KoshN
2010-12-20 13:58:37 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by KoshN
Post by Ken from Chicago
[...]
Oh c'mon, NCIS beats the living hell out of H50v2. NCIS *is* the
comfort food of TV, but H50v2 is bad like CSI-H is bad.
Post by Ken from Chicago
However NO ORDINARY FAMILY has actually proven worse then some of the tween
shows on ABC Family. KYLE XY did better (that is, less cringe-inducing) teen
angst than NOF.
The teen angst, indeed the teens themselves even when they're not
angst-ridden, are unbearable/cringe-inducing.
Anim8rFSK
2010-12-20 16:33:01 UTC
In article
Post by KoshN
Oh c'mon, NCIS beats the living hell out of H50v2. NCIS *is* the
comfort food of TV, but H50v2 is bad like CSI-H is bad.
CSI-H has a lead with more charisma.

Yes, I said it, and I'm sticking by it.
--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"
Ken from Chicago
2010-12-21 02:45:25 UTC
Post by Anim8rFSK
In article
Post by KoshN
Oh c'mon, NCIS beats the living hell out of H50v2. NCIS *is* the
comfort food of TV, but H50v2 is bad like CSI-H is bad.
CSI-H has a lead with more charisma.
Yes, I said it, and I'm sticking by it.
--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"
I can't imagine a universe where Jethro Gibbs has less charisma than Horatio
Caine.

-- Ken from Chicago
KoshN
2010-12-21 06:07:28 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Anim8rFSK
In article
Oh c'mon, NCIS beats the living hell out of H50v2.  NCIS *is* the
comfort food of TV, but H50v2 is bad like CSI-H is bad.
CSI-H has a lead with more charisma.
Yes, I said it, and I'm sticking by it.
--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"
I can't imagine a universe where Jethro Gibbs has less charisma than Horatio
Caine.
He meant Alex O'Loughlin. Hey, Fred's supposed to have me in his KF.
In fact, I requested it.
Ken from Chicago
2010-12-21 09:43:00 UTC
Post by KoshN
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Anim8rFSK
In article
Post by KoshN
Oh c'mon, NCIS beats the living hell out of H50v2. NCIS *is* the
comfort food of TV, but H50v2 is bad like CSI-H is bad.
CSI-H has a lead with more charisma.
Yes, I said it, and I'm sticking by it.
--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"
I can't imagine a universe where Jethro Gibbs has less charisma than Horatio
Caine.
He meant Alex O'Loughlin. Hey, Fred's supposed to have me in his KF.
In fact, I requested it.
Ah, now that makes sense (the Alex part, not the killfiling you part, who'd
want to killfile a vorlon?!!?!).

-- Ken from Chicago
Dimensional Traveler
2010-12-21 11:11:21 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Ken from Chicago
I can't imagine a universe where Jethro Gibbs has less charisma than Horatio
Caine.
He meant Alex O'Loughlin. Hey, Fred's supposed to have me in his KF.
In fact, I requested it.
Ah, now that makes sense (the Alex part, not the killfiling you part,
who'd want to killfile a vorlon?!!?!).
A Shadow?
--
"There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a
stick."
KoshN
A Shadow thrall.
Anim8rFSK
2010-12-21 17:11:33 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by KoshN
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Anim8rFSK
In article
Post by KoshN
Oh c'mon, NCIS beats the living hell out of H50v2. NCIS *is* the
comfort food of TV, but H50v2 is bad like CSI-H is bad.
CSI-H has a lead with more charisma.
Yes, I said it, and I'm sticking by it.
--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"
I can't imagine a universe where Jethro Gibbs has less charisma than Horatio
Caine.
He meant Alex O'Loughlin. Hey, Fred's supposed to have me in his KF.
In fact, I requested it.
Ah, now that makes sense (the Alex part, not the killfiling you part, who'd
want to killfile a vorlon?!!?!).
-- Ken from Chicago
PV is in my killfile, but he morphed his address.
--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"
Anim8rFSK
2010-12-21 07:49:35 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Anim8rFSK
In article
Post by KoshN
Oh c'mon, NCIS beats the living hell out of H50v2. NCIS *is* the
comfort food of TV, but H50v2 is bad like CSI-H is bad.
CSI-H has a lead with more charisma.
Yes, I said it, and I'm sticking by it.
--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"
I can't imagine a universe where Jethro Gibbs has less charisma than Horatio
Caine.
-- Ken from Chicago
I was talking about H5.1
--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"
Ken from Chicago
2010-12-21 09:45:25 UTC
Post by Anim8rFSK
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Anim8rFSK
In article
Post by KoshN
Oh c'mon, NCIS beats the living hell out of H50v2. NCIS *is* the
comfort food of TV, but H50v2 is bad like CSI-H is bad.
CSI-H has a lead with more charisma.
Yes, I said it, and I'm sticking by it.
--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"
I can't imagine a universe where Jethro Gibbs has less charisma than Horatio
Caine.
-- Ken from Chicago
I was talking about H5.1
--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"
Ah, much more logical (Alex could stand to wear shades, and a full suit,
like he does in the opening credits and that he hasn't done once in the
series), however. Kosh explained it all.

-- Ken from Chicago
Dimensional Traveler
2010-12-21 11:12:49 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Anim8rFSK
Post by Ken from Chicago
I can't imagine a universe where Jethro Gibbs has less charisma than Horatio
Caine.
I was talking about H5.1
Ah, much more logical (Alex could stand to wear shades, and a full suit,
like he does in the opening credits and that he hasn't done once in the
series), however. Kosh explained it all.
Wait, a Vorlon explained something? That's not a Vorlon, its a Fauxorlon!
--
"There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a
stick."
KoshN
2010-12-21 14:58:21 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Anim8rFSK
Post by Ken from Chicago
I can't imagine a universe where Jethro Gibbs has less charisma than Horatio
Caine.
I was talking about H5.1
Ah, much more logical (Alex could stand to wear shades, and a full suit,
like he does in the opening credits and that he hasn't done once in the
series), however. Kosh explained it all.
Wait, a Vorlon explained something?  That's not a Vorlon, its a Fauxorlon!
No, that's a Vorlon who's *not* engaging in Vorlon humor. We only
speak in riddles to confuse the younger races and snicker (the musical
tones) at them.
Adam H. Kerman
2010-12-20 18:36:21 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Adam H. Kerman
What does disappointment mean to you? Did you have expectations of
Hawaii Five-0 (remake) or No Ordinary Family (derivative)? I didn't,
and wasn't disappointed. I watched a few episodes of Five-0, which
were a bit better than I had anticipated.
Gotta agree. CBS is the meat and potatoes network. They bring out the
comfort food of tv, with a few twists in the seasoning. HAWAII 5-0 has been
enjoyable, right along with NCIS.
I said it was a bit better than I had anticipated. I don't watch it every
week. In fact, I stopped watching it two months ago.
Stan Brown
2010-12-20 08:34:54 UTC
I'd add /Persons Unknown/, which had a really great premise but
worked it out in such a boring way that I gave up after a few
episodes.

And /The Walking Dead/, which was eagerly awaited and started very
strongly but quickly let the ridiculous take over.

And the cancellation of /The Gates/, despite an excellent first
season.
http://OakRoadSystems.com
"Children -- so adorable. In a way they're like people."
-- Veronica, on /Better Off Ted/
Adam H. Kerman
2010-12-20 09:16:06 UTC
Post by Stan Brown
I'd add /Persons Unknown/, which had a really great premise but
worked it out in such a boring way that I gave up after a few
episodes.
And /The Walking Dead/, which was eagerly awaited and started very
strongly but quickly let the ridiculous take over.
And the cancellation of /The Gates/, despite an excellent first
season.
We still have nothing more official than Frank Grillo tweeted, so
I am denying the inevitable till ABC makes it official.

I'll admit to being disappointed in Scoundrels. The New Zealand original
was supposed to be excellent, and I really liked the cast. It had a
really good season finale. Too bad the show wasn't that strong throughout.
Ken from Chicago
2010-12-20 10:23:08 UTC
Post by Stan Brown
I'd add /Persons Unknown/, which had a really great premise but
worked it out in such a boring way that I gave up after a few
episodes.
And /The Walking Dead/, which was eagerly awaited and started very
strongly but quickly let the ridiculous take over.
For such a short season, it would have been better for it to have ended with
episode 5 with the opening of the CDC doors and the glowing light. That was
far more epic. The season 6 ending was more ... meh.
-- Ken from Chicago
Anim8rFSK
2010-12-20 16:28:22 UTC
Post by Stan Brown
And /The Walking Dead/, which was eagerly awaited and started very
strongly but quickly let the ridiculous take over.
Having now read the comics and seeing how badly the showrunner screwed
it up, I have no hope for season 2.
--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"
Obveeus
2010-12-20 14:32:24 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
CAPRICA didn't learn to improve and came back with the same pointless
meandering boring stories.
I was disappointed that the show didn't focus more on the teen girls and the
virtual world, but at least this show was watchable.

Here are a few category breakdowns for Top 2010 TV disappointments:

Shows that had potential, but turned out to be not worth watching:
The Event, Nikita, Undercovers, Better With You, Rizoli&Isles, and Walking
Dead.

Shows that were good, but the horrible TV audience shunned them to death (or
is in the process of shunning them to death):
Detroit 1-8-7, Outsourced, My Boys, My Generation, and Men of a Certain Age.

Dead airspace on TV when there is nothing to watch:
With Survivor moving off of Thursday, the night is now totally dead aside
from Outsourced.
Nothing to watch on primetime Sunday outside of sports (NFL/NASCAR).

Networks that diverge from their 'one true path' in search of viewers.
Syfy picks up Smackdown.
MTV further abandons music in favor of pregnant teenagers, slutty drunks,
and greasy dirbags.

Biggest TV disappointment of 2010:
Andy Whitfield getting sick, delaying the show and eventually not being able
to continue his role in Spartacus: Blood and Sand.
Nougat Surprise
2010-12-20 20:16:16 UTC
Post by Obveeus
The Event, Nikita
How dare you even suggest that Maggie Q is "not worth watching"?!
Adam H. Kerman
2010-12-20 20:35:57 UTC
Hi seamus
Nougat Surprise
2010-12-20 20:42:30 UTC
I beg your pardon?
Seapig
2010-12-21 09:14:27 UTC
My biggest disappointments:

1. "Terriers" not getting a second season.

2. The great "Parks & Recreation" getting benched in favor of the
opposite of great "Outsourced".

3. Leno not going away.

4. Letterman not providing a better alternative to Leno.

5. "The Event" not having the writing or charismatic leads to support
its story.

6. "Undercovers" not having the writing or story to support its
charismatic leads.
Ken from Chicago
2010-12-21 09:53:49 UTC
Post by Seapig
1. "Terriers" not getting a second season.
Sad, but not since Commodore Business Machines' mismarketing of the Amiga
have I seen so great a mismarketing undermine a truly great product.
Post by Seapig
2. The great "Parks & Recreation" getting benched in favor of the
opposite of great "Outsourced".
P&R was from the previous regime and tv execs tend to be about promoting
their own works.
Post by Seapig
3. Leno not going away.
Last year or decade ago?
Post by Seapig
4. Letterman not providing a better alternative to Leno.
I preferred Letterman's monologues, but like most latenight hosts the celeb
interviews can be so scripted to be cringeworthy.
Post by Seapig
5. "The Event" not having the writing or charismatic leads to support
its story.
Much less to support the marketing. Way too busy. They have some charismatic
leads but then they are undermined by poor or worse, mediocre, writing.
Post by Seapig
6. "Undercovers" not having the writing or story to support its
charismatic leads.
They do. They have Alias's stories--minus Rambaldi--but including the "real
life" folks who don't know about the spy stuff, but who are being drawn into
the spy side (I.e., the sister was on the phone with a big secret).

-- Ken from Chicago
KoshN
2010-12-21 14:52:45 UTC
Post by Seapig
2.  The great "Parks & Recreation" getting benched in favor of the
opposite of great "Outsourced".
P&R was from the previous regime and tv execs tend to be about promoting
their own works.
That's just sad.
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Seapig
3.  Leno not going away.
Last year or decade ago?
Post by Seapig
4.  Letterman not providing a better alternative to Leno.
I preferred Letterman's monologues, but like most latenight hosts the celeb
interviews can be so scripted to be cringeworthy.
Both Letterman and Leno are lame, old, tired and boring. Ferguson's
interviews are much better and less predictable. Ferguson's and
Fallon's monologues are worth watching.
-- Ken from Chicago
Seapig
2010-12-21 15:21:40 UTC
Both Letterman and Leno are lame, old, tired and boring.  Ferguson's
interviews are  much better and less predictable.  Ferguson's and
Fallon's monologues are worth watching.
I cut Letterman a lot of slack because I remember when he was the
young buck shaking up late night, but I've finally had to "fire" him.
I'm with you on Ferguson.
KoshN
I finally find Fallon watchable. He's gotten a lot better.
Seapig
2010-12-21 18:26:48 UTC
Post by Seapig
Both Letterman and Leno are lame, old, tired and boring.  Ferguson's
interviews are  much better and less predictable.  Ferguson's and
Fallon's monologues are worth watching.
I cut Letterman a lot of slack because I remember when he was the
young buck shaking up late night, but I've finally had to "fire" him.
I'm with you on Ferguson.
I finally find Fallon watchable.  He's gotten a lot better.
Maybe because I grew up on Letterman, I find Fallon's enthusiasm and
lack of ironic detachment to be off-putting. I prefer the Letterman
disciples - Conan, Kimmel, Ferguson, Stewart.
KoshN
2010-12-21 18:36:55 UTC
Post by Seapig
Post by Seapig
Both Letterman and Leno are lame, old, tired and boring.  Ferguson's
interviews are  much better and less predictable.  Ferguson's and
Fallon's monologues are worth watching.
I cut Letterman a lot of slack because I remember when he was the
young buck shaking up late night, but I've finally had to "fire" him.
I'm with you on Ferguson.
I finally find Fallon watchable.  He's gotten a lot better.
Maybe because I grew up on Letterman, I find Fallon's enthusiasm and
lack of ironic detachment to be off-putting.
He seems to be a genuinely nice guy, ...likeable. I like his "Thank
You Notes" schtick.
Post by Seapig
 I prefer the Letterman disciples - Conan, Kimmel, Ferguson, Stewart.
Of those, I only get Ferguson on my cable tier. I miss Conan and
especially Stewart.
Right now, higher tiers of cable (or satellite) aren't in the
budget. In the spring, that may change.
Seapig
2010-12-21 20:10:24 UTC
Post by Seapig
Post by Seapig
Both Letterman and Leno are lame, old, tired and boring.  Ferguson's
interviews are  much better and less predictable.  Ferguson's and
Fallon's monologues are worth watching.
I cut Letterman a lot of slack because I remember when he was the
young buck shaking up late night, but I've finally had to "fire" him.
I'm with you on Ferguson.
I finally find Fallon watchable.  He's gotten a lot better.
Maybe because I grew up on Letterman, I find Fallon's enthusiasm and
lack of ironic detachment to be off-putting.
He seems to be a genuinely nice guy, ...likeable.  I like his "Thank
You Notes" schtick.
I think he probably is a nice guy, he seems to be pals with half of
his guests. Maybe Lorne Michaels keeps giving him jobs he's not
suited for (IMO) because he's a nice guy. I think he was good in
sketches on SNL, and does good impressions, particularly musical
impressions. But when he delves into political humor, like he had to
do on Weekend Update and on his current show, I think he's in over his
head.
Dano
2010-12-21 20:38:57 UTC
Post by Seapig
Post by KoshN
Post by Seapig
Post by KoshN
Post by Seapig
Post by KoshN
[...]
Yeah. Letterman too. That's why HE'LL never last either. :/

We need a good political satirist on late night. Like Leno.

The reason these guys thrive is BECAUSE they don't do much political humor I
suspect.
Ken from Chicago
2010-12-22 09:31:25 UTC
Post by Dano
Post by Seapig
Post by KoshN
Post by Seapig
Post by KoshN
Post by Seapig
Post by KoshN
[...]
Stewart and Colbert own political humor.

SNL is the one thing consistently does the best at, and usually what they
open their shows with--then run screaming from a zillion miles an hour from.

-- Ken from Chicago
KoshN
2010-12-26 19:13:06 UTC
Post by Seapig
Post by Seapig
Post by Seapig
Post by KoshN
[...]
To me, 99% of the time, Leno seems like Late Night for 5th Graders
(and *5th* grade may be giving him too much credit.).
Dano
2010-12-21 18:51:21 UTC
Post by Seapig
Post by KoshN
Post by Seapig
Post by KoshN
Both Letterman and Leno are lame, old, tired and boring. Ferguson's
interviews are much better and less predictable. Ferguson's and
Fallon's monologues are worth watching.
I cut Letterman a lot of slack because I remember when he was the
young buck shaking up late night, but I've finally had to "fire" him.
I'm with you on Ferguson.
I finally find Fallon watchable. He's gotten a lot better.
Maybe because I grew up on Letterman, I find Fallon's enthusiasm and
lack of ironic detachment to be off-putting. I prefer the Letterman
disciples - Conan, Kimmel, Ferguson, Stewart.
I'm a long time devotee of Dave myself. I like Kimmel some. Ferguson has
taken the genre to a new place. Very creative. His stream of consciousness
monologues are amazing sometimes. But I too think Fallon has come a long
way. Damn shame he's up against Craig head to head. I've started watching
Fallon more often and I really think his "nice guy" persona works well for
him without seeming phony in the least...the way Leno's does now for me.

Sadly, I think Dave has lost a lot off his fastball. I really find he seems
to mail it in quite often now. I watch for certain guests that click with
him...like Amy Sedaris. I have to wonder if he might want to walk away
soon. He can't need the money and he has only so much time to be a dad. He
could hand it off to Ferguson and work as much or little as he wishes.
Tony Calguire
2010-12-21 18:57:14 UTC
click with him...like Amy Sedaris. I have to wonder if he might want
to walk away soon. He can't need the money and he has only so much
time to be a dad. He could hand it off to Ferguson and work as much
or little as he wishes.
But Ferguson has made several refrences in the past few weeks to being
"sick of it" and possibly wanting to give it up. It's hard to tell if he's
joking, though.
Ken from Chicago
2010-12-22 09:28:41 UTC
Post by Seapig
Post by KoshN
Post by Seapig
Post by KoshN
Both Letterman and Leno are lame, old, tired and boring. Ferguson's
interviews are much better and less predictable. Ferguson's and
Fallon's monologues are worth watching.
I cut Letterman a lot of slack because I remember when he was the
young buck shaking up late night, but I've finally had to "fire" him.
I'm with you on Ferguson.
I finally find Fallon watchable. He's gotten a lot better.
Maybe because I grew up on Letterman, I find Fallon's enthusiasm and
lack of ironic detachment to be off-putting. I prefer the Letterman
disciples - Conan, Kimmel, Ferguson, Stewart.
Some people love the puppy dog enthusiam--some prefer the cool ironic
detachment.

-- Ken from Chicago
Pelerin Galimatias
2010-12-26 17:02:21 UTC
In article <b09c3799-c8fb-4fdf-a711-
Post by KoshN
Post by Seapig
Both Letterman and Leno are lame, old, tired and boring. =A0Ferguson's
interviews are =A0much better and less predictable. =A0Ferguson's and
Fallon's monologues are worth watching.
I cut Letterman a lot of slack because I remember when he was the
young buck shaking up late night, but I've finally had to "fire" him.
I'm with you on Ferguson.
I finally find Fallon watchable. He's gotten a lot better.
I've never watched Fallon, can't stand Ferguson and won't watch Letterman
since learning of his preying on female employees. I've taken to watching
replays on public television.
0000001000000100000110001000011010001111110010111011101000010000
Seapig
2010-12-21 15:11:51 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Seapig
1. "Terriers" not getting a second season.
Sad, but not since Commodore Business Machines' mismarketing of the Amiga
have I seen so great a mismarketing undermine a truly great product.
I thought about going one step back and saying that the ratings were
the disappointing thing, or another step and saying that the marketing
was the disappointing thing, but none of that really hit home until it
got cancelled. At least this means that the second season won't wind
up on next year's "most disappointing" list.
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Seapig
2.  The great "Parks & Recreation" getting benched in favor of the
opposite of great "Outsourced".
P&R was from the previous regime and tv execs tend to be about promoting
their own works.
True - there has to be some explanation for it. The good news is that
P&R is getting the better slot when it comes back.
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Seapig
3.  Leno not going away.
Last year or decade ago?
A decade ago I didn't have any reason to think he was going away.
With Conan back, I probably shouldn't have put this on the list.
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Seapig
4.  Letterman not providing a better alternative to Leno.
I preferred Letterman's monologues, but like most latenight hosts the celeb
interviews can be so scripted to be cringeworthy.
Letterman's interviews tend to be less kiss-assy, but his monologues
are so repetitive that you can watch on Monday and you're pretty much
good for the whole week.
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Seapig
5.  "The Event" not having the writing or charismatic leads to support
its story.
Much less to support the marketing. Way too busy. They have some charismatic
leads but then they are undermined by poor or worse, mediocre, writing.
I like Underwood and the bald guy well enough, but the young couple on
the run doesn't do anything for me (at least until they find a reason
to get her back into a bikini), and I think the aliens came from
Planet Bland.
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Seapig
6.  "Undercovers" not having the writing or story to support its
charismatic leads.
They do. They have Alias's stories--minus Rambaldi--but including the "real
life" folks who don't know about the spy stuff, but who are being drawn into
the spy side (I.e., the sister was on the phone with a big secret).
It just feels to me like everything comes too easy for them, like the
scripts were missing some pages where their plans hit more
roadblocks. Sydney and company had to work a lot harder to get things
done.

I forgot one - "Running Wilde." The "Arrested Development" pedigree
had me hoping for much better.
Anim8rFSK
2010-12-21 17:12:18 UTC
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Seapig
3. Leno not going away.
Last year or decade ago?
More that that, at least as far back to where he backstabbed Carson and
stole his show.
--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"
Ken from Chicago
2010-12-22 03:51:58 UTC
Post by Anim8rFSK
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by Seapig
3. Leno not going away.
Last year or decade ago?
More that that, at least as far back to where he backstabbed Carson and
stole his show.
--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"
Nice touch when Carson appeared with Letterman on the debut on CBS.

The torch was passed.

-- Ken from Chicago