What TV shows would you like to see get a deluxe DVD release?
Joe
2010-08-26 13:18:49 UTC
Irrespective whether any former or current TV show/s mentioned already
available on DVD or Blu ray (but you reckon its release could've
included a lot more in the way of extras), or still isn't available,
what greatly admired TV shows would you love seeing get a deluxe DVD
release.
Angus Rodgers
2010-08-26 13:57:19 UTC
Post by Joe
Irrespective whether any former or current TV show/s mentioned already
available on DVD or Blu ray (but you reckon its release could've
included a lot more in the way of extras), or still isn't available,
SYNTAX ERROR 101 - PROCESSING ABORTED
Post by Joe
what greatly admired TV shows would you love seeing get a deluxe DVD
release.
A lot of children's shows and cartoons (is there not a market for
them, or are they not respected - apart from The Simpsons, Family
Guy, South Park, Futurama, The Ren and Stimpy Show, ...? OK, some
are respected!):

Malcolm in the Middle
As Told By Ginger
The Big Knights
Clueless
Daria
Dexter's Laboratory
The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show
Earthworm Jim
Stressed Eric
Recess
Waynehead
Hey Arnold!
Extreme Ghostbusters
God, the Devil and Bob
Jumanji
Pepper Ann
Vicky the Viking
The Wild Thornberrys
The PJs
Rex the Runt
Aaagh! It's the Mr Hell Show!
Fairly OddParents

At least there's a complete set of The Powerpuff Girls (in NTSC,
not much use to me).

And some more comedy:

Kids in the Hall

But please, please, especially Malcolm in the Middle!
Angus Rodgers
Anim8rFSK
2010-08-26 15:53:42 UTC
Post by Joe
what greatly admired TV shows would you love seeing get a deluxe DVD
release.
A lot of children's shows and cartoons (is there not a market for
them, or are they not respected - apart from The Simpsons, Family
Guy, South Park, Futurama, The Ren and Stimpy Show, ...? OK, some
Kim Possible desperately needs an HD season set release, and not these
odd butchered collections.

Jonny Quest could use a redo and fix.

They need to go back and fix Kung Fu season 1.

I want 12 O'Clock High dammit! It looked like we were finally getting
the QM stuff, and then, nothing.
--
TOM SWIFT 100th Anniversary convention! July 16-18 2010, San Diego, CA
TS100 Convention site: http://www.TomSwiftEnterprises.com
TOM SWIFT INFO: http://www.tomswift.info
Angus Rodgers
2010-08-27 03:44:55 UTC
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 08:53:42 -0700,
Post by Anim8rFSK
They need to go back and fix Kung Fu season 1.
I haven't yet seen the DVDs (or indeed very many episodes of the
series, although I remember enjoying the ones I saw). What did
they do wrong with them?
Angus Rodgers
Anim8rFSK
2010-08-27 06:17:58 UTC
Post by Anim8rFSK
They need to go back and fix Kung Fu season 1.
I haven't yet seen the DVDs (or indeed very many episodes of the
series, although I remember enjoying the ones I saw). What did
they do wrong with them?
Made them 16:9 by blowing up the 4:3 image and chopping off the top and
bottom.
Edward McArdle
2010-08-27 06:34:57 UTC
Post by Anim8rFSK
They need to go back and fix Kung Fu season 1.
I haven't yet seen the DVDs (or indeed very many episodes of the
series, although I remember enjoying the ones I saw). What did
they do wrong with them?
Made them 16:9 by blowing up the 4:3 image and chopping off the top and
bottom.
Nobody has mentioned the Batman TV series! I would love to buy them all,
but apparently they are in copyright hell.
Edward McArdle
Dragon Lady
Er...you consider those show's to be children's shows?
Angus Rodgers
2010-08-27 03:26:09 UTC
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 20:21:15 -0600, "Dragon Lady"
Post by Dragon Lady
Post by Angus Rodgers
A lot of children's shows and cartoons (is there not a market for
them, or are they not respected - apart from The Simpsons, Family
Guy, South Park, Futurama, The Ren and Stimpy Show, ...? OK, some
Er...you consider those show's to be children's shows?
Evidently not, as my own childhood is far behind me, but all of
them are of interest to children (or teenagers), and none of them
is aimed solely at adults. It seems reasonable to me to consider
"children's shows and cartoons" as a category. The programmes in
this category which do seem to get some respect all seem to be
among those which are aimed more at adults than at children (and
I listed some of the best-known of these), but even they are all
loved by children.

I didn't try to be academically precise; should I have been?

Also, do you not think that the reason why these shows have not
got much (if any) DVD treatment is that they aren't aimed mainly
at adults, and are therefore not thought to deserve much respect?

I admit I am a bit puzzled as to why, if this is the explanation,
there is not thought to be a market for them, respectable or not.
So am I mistaken in my belief that their interest to children has
something to do with their neglect?

I'm also a bit puzzled that anime series do seem to get the DVD
treatment, even though many of them (of course not all) are aimed
at least as much at children as adults.

So perhaps I'm misunderstanding the reason for these programmes
not having received a full DVD release?

Malcolm in the Middle, by the way, was most recently shown in the
UK in a children's slot at around noon on Saturday, with the most
annoying 'yoof' presenter ever. I myself thought it should have
been scheduled as an adult programme, in much the same way as The
Simpsons (which it does not, however, resemble as much as some
listings suggest).

The Ren and Stimpy Show was also usually shown in a children's
slot, I think - although it's so long since it has been on UK
analogue TV that I'm not sure - whereas it would also seem to
fit more naturally into the same category as The Simpsons, Family
Guy, South Park, Futurama, American Dad, King of the Hill, etc.,
i.e. although enjoyable by children, it is aimed more at adults.
Angus Rodgers
Dragon Lady
2010-08-27 04:38:08 UTC
Post by Dragon Lady
Post by Angus Rodgers
A lot of children's shows and cartoons (is there not a market for
them, or are they not respected - apart from The Simpsons, Family
Guy, South Park, Futurama, The Ren and Stimpy Show, ...? OK, some
Er...you consider those show's to be children's shows?
Evidently not, as my own childhood is far behind me, but all of
them are of interest to children (or teenagers), and none of them
is aimed solely at adults. It seems reasonable to me to consider
"children's shows and cartoons" as a category. The programmes in
this category which do seem to get some respect all seem to be
among those which are aimed more at adults than at children (and
I listed some of the best-known of these), but even they are all
loved by children.
I know The Simpsons and Futurama are out on DVD here, don't know about the
others, but I now people who wouldn't let their children watch these shows
because they are more aimed at adults than at children.
Post by Angus Rodgers
I didn't try to be academically precise; should I have been?
Nah. That's why I asked.
Post by Angus Rodgers
Also, do you not think that the reason why these shows have not
got much (if any) DVD treatment is that they aren't aimed mainly
at adults, and are therefore not thought to deserve much respect?
I think that's exactly why. Children (not teenagers, but younger children)
do not buy DVDs. Adults do. My kids used to complain about their dad
watching the same shows over and over again - even though they watched the
same cartoons over and over. Ironic.
Post by Angus Rodgers
I admit I am a bit puzzled as to why, if this is the explanation,
there is not thought to be a market for them, respectable or not.
So am I mistaken in my belief that their interest to children has
something to do with their neglect?
Is it their interest to children, or the assumptiont that because the
primary viewers are children, they don't interest adults? If so, the
producers are obviously mistaken.
Post by Angus Rodgers
I'm also a bit puzzled that anime series do seem to get the DVD
treatment, even though many of them (of course not all) are aimed
at least as much at children as adults.
Isn't most anime from Japan? I haven't watched at lot of it, so I don't
know much about it.
Post by Angus Rodgers
So perhaps I'm misunderstanding the reason for these programmes
not having received a full DVD release?
Malcolm in the Middle, by the way, was most recently shown in the
UK in a children's slot at around noon on Saturday, with the most
annoying 'yoof' presenter ever. I myself thought it should have
been scheduled as an adult programme, in much the same way as The
Simpsons (which it does not, however, resemble as much as some
listings suggest).
Heh. I never cared much for Malcolm in the Middle, but it was on TV long
enough to prove it was popular. I'm surprised it hasn't been put out on
DVD.
Post by Angus Rodgers
The Ren and Stimpy Show was also usually shown in a children's
slot, I think - although it's so long since it has been on UK
analogue TV that I'm not sure - whereas it would also seem to
fit more naturally into the same category as The Simpsons, Family
Guy, South Park, Futurama, American Dad, King of the Hill, etc.,
i.e. although enjoyable by children, it is aimed more at adults.
Never cared for Ren & Stimpy. Even when I was a child, my sense of humor
didn't run to those kind of shows. I was more into Scooby Doo. I also don't
care much for South Park. I think it's the running gag about Kenny getting
killed that turned me off on that one. I've never seen American Dad, but if
it's in the same category as the others, I'd agree they're more aimed at
adults than children. However, there is a market for children's shows, at
least in the U.S. I'm not sure why the shows you mentioned aren't coming
out on DVD. Perhaps they just don't think there's enough of a market to
make it worth while.
Wingnut
2010-08-27 05:39:12 UTC
Post by Dragon Lady
Also, do you not think that the reason why these shows have not got
much (if any) DVD treatment is that they aren't aimed mainly at adults,
and are therefore not thought to deserve much respect?
I think that's exactly why. Children (not teenagers, but younger
children) do not buy DVDs.
Children nag and moan until parents buy things *for* them. Market well
enough to children and adults end up opening their wallets just to shut
them up. Disney has built a fucking multi-billion-dollar empire on this
phenomenon, selling DVDs in particular, and has long had the money and
the clout to basically write one of the G8 nations' copyright laws to its
favor (and that one then exports it via international treaties to
virtually the entire developed world).
Post by Dragon Lady
I'm also a bit puzzled that anime series do seem to get the DVD
treatment, even though many of them (of course not all) are aimed at
least as much at children as adults.
Isn't most anime from Japan?
Isn't all of it, more or less *by definition*?
Mark A
2010-08-26 15:56:12 UTC
Post by Joe
Irrespective whether any former or current TV show/s mentioned already
available on DVD or Blu ray (but you reckon its release could've
included a lot more in the way of extras), or still isn't available,
what greatly admired TV shows would you love seeing get a deluxe DVD
release.
Xena: Warrior Princess.

Regards

Mark
The Other Mike
2010-08-26 22:56:10 UTC
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 16:56:12 +0100, "Mark A"
Post by Mark A
Xena: Warrior Princess.
Interactive :)

Anim8rFSK
2010-08-27 00:48:05 UTC
Post by The Other Mike
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 16:56:12 +0100, "Mark A"
Post by Mark A
Xena: Warrior Princess.
Interactive :)
--
Every episode hosted by Hudson Leick.
Mac Breck
2010-08-26 16:26:51 UTC
Post by Joe
Irrespective whether any former or current TV show/s mentioned already
available on DVD or Blu ray (but you reckon its release could've
included a lot more in the way of extras), or still isn't available,
what greatly admired TV shows would you love seeing get a deluxe DVD
release.
TV Shows That I MOST Want On DVD:
Brimstone (1998)
Strange Luck (1995)
Carol & Company (1990) - Show Intros. & Skits ONLY - in Season Sets*.
The Carol Burnett Show (1967) - Show Intros. & Skits ONLY - in Season
Sets*.
The Carol Burnett Show (1991) - Show Intros. & Skits ONLY - in Season
Sets*.
Midnight Caller (1988)
Mike Hammer (1956) - Darren McGavin
The Outsider (1968) - Darren McGavin
Special Unit 2 (2001)
The Agency (2001)
Bearcats! (1971)
Duck Dodgers (2003)
Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer (1984)
Boomtown (NBC, 2002-2003) - Season 2 (6 episodes)
Keen Eddie - with the *original* music, not the elevator music which is
on the currently available Keen Eddie DVD set.

TV Shows That I MOST Want On DVD in Deluxe Editions (feature packed):
Brimstone (1998)
Strange Luck (1995)
Carol & Company (1990) - Show Intros. & Skits ONLY - in Season Sets*.
The Carol Burnett Show (1967) - Show Intros. & Skits ONLY - in Season
Sets*.
The Carol Burnett Show (1991) - Show Intros. & Skits ONLY - in Season
Sets*.
Keen Eddie - with the *original* music, not the elevator music which is
on the currently available Keen Eddie DVD set.

* NOT dribbled out, one DVD at a time, containing only a couple of
shows, out of order, every 6 to 8 weeks via mail, with the singing and
dancing taking up valuable disc space, for $19.95 plus shipping &
handling, which would cost a *fortune* in the end to collect. God only
knows when you'd finally collect them all, *if* *ever* . i.e. Not via
that damned Guthy-Renker monstrosity which currently has a stranglehold
on the Carol Burnett material. :-||
--
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------
bit."
JNugent
The Beverly Hillbillies (all of it - with ORIGINAL music).
Adam H. Kerman
2010-08-26 18:39:54 UTC
Post by JNugent
The Beverly Hillbillies (all of it - with ORIGINAL music).
What do you mean? Was the original music removed due to licensing
restrictions?
AuntyPalin
2010-08-26 21:37:02 UTC
Post by JNugent
The Beverly Hillbillies (all of it - with ORIGINAL music).
Myself also. Have you seen the relatively recently released:

The Beverly Hillbillies: The Official Second Season
The Beverly Hillbillies: The Official Third Season

These are much better than The Ultimate Collection Season 1 and all
the other dribdrab releases without the original music.

I hope they eventually do all the seasons - whoa 9 of em?

Also, I'd like Northern Exposure. :-)

***********************************
www.AuntyPalin.com, facebook & twitter too
Brian Thorn
2010-08-27 02:44:55 UTC
Post by Joe
Irrespective whether any former or current TV show/s mentioned already
available on DVD or Blu ray (but you reckon its release could've
included a lot more in the way of extras), or still isn't available,
what greatly admired TV shows would you love seeing get a deluxe DVD
release.
QUANTUM LEAP with original music restored.
WKRP IN CINCINATTI complete series with original music.
Adam H. Kerman
That'll wait till after copyright expires, long after we're all dead.
Micky DuPree
2010-08-27 05:33:09 UTC
_Colditz_, the early-70s BBC TV series, not the miniseries nor the
movie.

_Search_, the early-70s US TV series.

-Micky